Google G Suite to Office 365 IMAP Migration | Step-by-Step Guide
In the modern era, most of the email clients providing easy and secure data management to protect their user data. Users always prefer the most secure platform to maintain data without any type of data loss. G Suite and MS Office 365 are such commonly using cloud-based email clients. In this blog, we are going to see the procedure to perform G Suite to Office 365 IMAP migration.
Each and every email service providers try to give the most efficient and secure features to their users. These variations in the services & security provided by each make the users change their platform to the most preferable one. Likewise, whoever wants to move their data to Office 365 this blog will be a helpful guide for them.
G Suite to Office 365 IMAP migration – Stepwise Procedure
Before switching your platform, users must convert IMAP Gmail mailboxes to O365 suite. It provides an overview of the entire transfer process. Now, use the setup wizard in Office 365 admin center to export IMAP is necessary. For this, you need to follow the steps listed below:
Step 1: Check if user owns a domain name
Initially, users have to check and verify Office 365 as the domain they are using for G Suite and opt for a registered domain name.
Step 2: Add more than one account to Office 365
In order to perform G Suite to Office 365 IMAP migration, it is totally dependent on end-users for adding one or multiple accounts as per their choice. When adding data, always make sure that each license is included in the MS Office 365 plan. In addition, all users must have mailboxes on Exchange Online to perform the export process.
Once the domain is verified and all mailboxes are created in O365 account, close the wizard and do not proceed with Set-up Domain.
Step 3: Create a Gmail Mailboxes Export List
To proceed with G Suite to Office 365 IMAP migration, you need to create a migration file that contains a list of Gmail Mailboxes. When users make the whole list then the password for Gmail mailbox is preferred first on a list. If users are not dependent on password, then they can also assign a temporary password by resetting password for each mailbox. Users can add the maximum number of mailboxes in migration file and the file size limit is 10 MB. For creation of the list, users have to follow the below steps:
- First of all, sign in to G Suite admin console using administrator’s credentials like username and password
- Select an option Users and, then choose user and identify the user’s mail address
a) Login to Office 365 Admin Center and browse to User. Then, select Active users and find out the User Name in a column and open Office 365 window screen
b) Start the MS Excel and consider the above screenshot to create transferring file in Excel
c) Begin with row 1 headings and try to make sure it matches with above screenshot properly. The name of headings are:
- Email Address
d) Enter the email address, username and password for a particular mailbox
e) Save a file as CSV format and then, close the Excel sheet
Step 4: Connect MS Office 365 and Gmail Mailboxes
- In order to perform G Suite to Office 365 IMAP migration, open MS Exchange Admin Centre and navigate to Recipients and then, Migration. Click More and Migration endpoints
- Next, for creating the new migration end point, choose an option New +
- On the Select migration endpoint type page, choose IMAP
- On the IMAP migration configuration page, you can set up IMAP server to imap.gmail.com and make the default settings same.
- Click Next, the Enter general information page appears
- Open this Enter general information page, and type the Migration endpoint name and leave out of two boxes
- Select New option and then, create a new migration endpoint.
Step 5: Open Gmail Mailbox Migration & Create Batch Conversion
- Firstly, Open Office 365 Admin Centre and click the Admin Centres >> MS Exchange
- Open Recipients on the EAC, and then click Migration
- Click on plus (+) icon, then migrate to Exchange Online alternative
- After that, choose IMAP migration and press Next button
- At the end, select file created in MS Excel from the Select users page, and Office 365 can validate it
- Once the transferring or exporting file is validated, MS Office 365 gives the total number of users available in file to migrate mailboxes.
- Click the Next button. Now, you can choose the migration endpoint
- Accept the default values on IMAP configuration page and click Next button
- Enter the name of batch migration, move the configuration page and press Next to proceed with the process to G Suite to Office 365 IMAP migration.
- Next, open batch page, it provides end users with two options:
- Browse the migration report for sending a replica to other users
- Choose start batch automatically and New option, and begin the migration process after the synchronisation process has finished.
Step 6: Route Gmail to Office 365 directly & Update DNS Records
DNS records are known as MX record and its main objective is to deliver mail messages. To initiate the process follow the steps listed below:
- Sign in to MS Office 365 and then, go to the Domain page
- Choose the domain and fix all the issues
Step 7: Stop Synchronisation with Gmail
Once you verify all the emails are routed to MS Office 365, users can delete the batch process and then, stop Gmail and Office 365 synchronising. To delete the migration batch:
- In EAC, navigate to Recipients and select Migration option
- Open the migration dashboard, choose batch and click the Delete button
- Open email Recipients, then Migration in EAC and check migration batch is no longer listed in the dashboard.
If the manual process does not provide suitable result, then what to do?
Professional Solution – G Suite to Office 365 IMAP Migration Software
If the above process does not work properly, then users can go for a reliable third-party tool, i.e., Google Apps to Office 365 migration tool. It is designed in such a way to move mailboxes including emails, contacts, documents, attached files, calendars, etc. in just a few clicks. This software offers Date filter and Delta migration features during the migration process. Moreover, it allows us to save one or more files from Google account to Office 365 maintaining the folder hierarchy.
View the Video Playlist for Complete Working & Prerequisites:
Time to Conclude
Google Apps and Office 365 are the most widely used web-based application. But when comes to its features and functionalities both have significant differences. However, sometimes, users want to perform G Suite to Office 365 IMAP migration. Thus, in this write-up, we above discussed a complete manual solution to do the same. Users can also opt for an automated approach that helps to perform the migration without any data loss.