How to Export Office 365 User List? – Simple Methods Revealed
It is pretty easy to learn how to export Office 365 user list if you have the right guidance.
Many organizations use Microsoft 365 to make sure that the resources they need for growth and to enhance the user’s productivity are always available.
The plan that Office 365 provides allows users to access the services that are defined and offered in each plan.
However, it is not necessary that the Office 365 user account and the licenses are correspondent to one another.
In order to avoid any confusion or disruptions, many admins prefer learning the process to export Office 365 user list.
It is a possibility that organizations may have users who do not have the license or having users who have licenses but it has just not been assigned to the users.
This is why admins prefer having a CSV file containing all the users’ list with a certain plan to decide on the usage and other necessities.
User’s Concern: I’m having trouble extracting a list of all the users from a tenant & the licenses they have been assigned in Microsoft 365. How can I do that without failing? Please help!
How to Export Office 365 User List Manually?
There is one method which has the requirement of using PowerShell. It is a method which is easy for everyone who has full-fledged knowledge about PowerShell and how to apply its commands.
Note: If you want to be sure your data is safe during and after taking out the lists, take a backup of the data using Office 365 Backup Tool.
Since there are no functions provided by Office 365 to export the list, PowerShell remains the only manual way.
However, there are some pre-requisites that you should run.
Pre-Requisites of the PowerShell Commands to Export Office 365 User List
If you want to export the list with the help of these commands, there are some things you need to take care of. Also, if your Office 365 account has never been connected to PowerShell before, this is what you need to do:
- Install the Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant for IT professionals RTW.
- Install the Windows Azure Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell.
Once all this is done and the pre-requisites are fulfilled, you can connect your Microsoft 365 account to PowerShell easily.
Let’s see how to export Office 365 user list via PowerShell now.
Steps to Apply the PowerShell Command to Export the List
1. Press the Start button and right-click on the Windows Azure Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell. Choose the Run as administrator option.
2. Now, you will see that the Windows Azure Directory window opens up after which you need to connect your Office 365 account with PowerShell.
3. For that, run the following command:
4. After executing this command, a Windows PowerShell Credential Request wizard appears for username & password to export Office 365 user list.
5. Here, you have to enter the admin username and password to connect the account successfully.
6. Then, execute the following code to see all the licensed and unlicensed users available:
7. You will get all the results wherein you’ll see that isLicensed will either be true (licensed user) or false (unlicensed user).
8. Now, to export the users that are licensed, execute the following command:
9. If you want to know how to export Office 365 user list for unlicensed users, go for the given code:
10. Next, you can make use of the following code to export this list in a .csv format with all the details like username, license type, account login name etc.:
11. The resultant file will look something like the one shown below.
Make sure all these commands and used correctly and carefully because if not executed correctly, there may be various troubles that user will have to face.
User Queries Regarding How to Export Office 365 User List
“Is there any technique which can help me extract the users’ list from my Office 365 tenant? I have been trying to get a list of all the licensed and unlicensed users but have no clue if I’m going in the right direction. Could someone please explain the steps for the same?”
“I want to know how I can get a list of the UserPrincipalName in a CSV file along with the types of licenses the users have been assigned with. It has become important to export Office 365 user list due to the confusion of users not be able to do certain tasks as some have not yet been assigned with the licenses. Help me please!”
It’s a Wrap
The article consists of the only way out to find both the licensed and unlicensed users that an organization may have. Because there is no other way, you can learn the procedure carefully or take assistance to perform the task.
The PowerShell cmdlet will provide a list of all the licensed and unlicensed users of Office 365. Using the commands, you can learn how to export Office 365 user list and save it in .csv format.