Learn How to Export Office 365 Mailbox to Gmail
Learn how to export the mailbox of MS Office 365 to Gmail with ease. Here’s how to do it.
Microsoft Office 365 has always been a great environment for Organizations of any size by providing applications like Word, Excel, Outlook 365, PowerPoint, OneNote, OneDrive, O365 Exchange Online, and much more on an online platform.
However, when using MS Office 365, there are times the user may need a Gmail account too for the business workflow. In such cases, users need to export Office 365 mailbox to Gmail. Unfortunately! No direct solution is available for this type of migration process. Due to which possible question arises from the users’ side –
- How to import Microsoft 365 emails to Gmail?
- How can I connect Both Cloud Platforms?
- Is it possible to perform This Type of migration?
Therefore, we are going to provide you with a great solution for the same. Let’s have a deep look into this.
Technique to Migrate Office 365 to Gmail
Before moving to the methods, know that there are two kinds of users looking for this solution:
We have included methods for both these situations. So click and choose as per your requirement.
The methods described in this article is beneficial for the following users –
- Looking to completely switch to Gmail from the Microsoft Office 365 account.
- Import data of inactive O365 user mailbox data into the other email service to make some free space.
- Parallelly working with both the applications – Office 365 & Gmail
Section 1: Export Office 365 Mailbox to Free Gmail Account
The workaround is divided into two steps that are described below.
Step 1: Download data in PST format
Step 2: Import data into Gmail Account
So, let’s begin!
Step 1: Downloading Data in Outlook Supported Format
First of all, you need to export Office 365 mailbox data to PST to perform the migration. For this, there is no option available in O365 as Microsoft itself states that – It is liable for the data geo-redundancy and not for the local backup of your data.
It is advised to use some cost-effective and reliable software for creating a backup of your mailbox data from Microsoft 365 in a format accessible in Outlook. For this Office 365 to Gmail migration, use the brilliantly designed Microsoft Office 365 Mailbox Backup Utility and export a copy of the mailbox to the local environment.
Apart from emails, one can also move the calendar and contacts in the file format supported by Outlook. With the help of the self-guided interface, users easily migrate a copy of emails of User’s Mailbox, Shared Mailbox, or Admin Mailbox from your account on the local environment.
Adding to the features provided by the software to export Office 365 mailbox to Gmail, one can export mailbox of any subscription plan such as – Office 365 Enterprise E1, Office 365 Enterprise E3, Office 365 Enterprise E5, Exchange Online Plan 1, Exchange Online Plan 2, Office 365 Business Premium, Office 365 A1, Office 365 A3, Office 365 A5, Office 365 F1, Office 365 Business Essentials.
Let’s check out how the tool works and import the messages.
1: Download and launch the software. Click on the Activate button on the bottom left corner and navigate to the Setup tab. Choose Office 365 and Outlook as Source and Destination respectively.
2: For Office 365 to Gmail export, select the categories from the Workload Selection section and set the dates in the Date-Filter for selective data transfer.
3: In the Source Window, enter the login credentials for your admin account in Office 365 and then click on the Validate button to assign the permissions. Press the Next button.
4: Choose the location to save the files at and the size of the files in the Destination Outlook Window. Make sure the permissions are assigned by hitting the Validate button and hit Next.
5: Here, you have to choose the Fetch Users option to automatically add the User Ids for mapping or go for the Import Users option to insert a CSV containing the details.
6: Finally, click on the Start Backup to begin the export task.
Step 2: Import data into Gmail account
Now, its time for manual steps to read the PST file in Gmail account.
First, we will import the PST file into Outlook, then configure the Gmail account in Outlook and move all the PST data into the Gmail account.
Sounds simple? It is simple. The steps to do so are as follows:
Import PST to Outlook
- In Outlook, go to File >> Open & Export >> Import/Export
- Click Import from another program or file, then the Next button.
- Click Outlook data file, then the Next button.
- Browse the PST file, then the Next button.
- Choose where to import and click the Finish button.
The Office 365 data is now visible here.
Enable Gmail IMAP
- Open free Gmail account in a web browser.
- Click the Gear icon >> See all Settings on the upper side of your Gmail account
- Then, choose the tab “Forwarding and POP/IMAP”
- After that, ensure Enable IMAP is selected
- Press the Save Changes button to activate it.
Next, last step for Office 365 to Gmail migration.
Set up IMAP in Outlook
- Run Outlook.
- Set up Gmail account in which you want to move Office 365 data.
- Set the Views in your Outlook Account to show Folder View
- Copy the Office 365 data from your folders and store it into your Gmail account
- When the process is completed all your data will available in your Gmail account
Now, open the Gmail account and check the exported email. It concludes Microsoft 365 to free Gmail account migration process.
Section 2: Export Office 365 to Business Gmail Account
If you are moving from Office 365 to business Gmail platform, then most probably you require a enterprise solution to move multiple accounts at once. If its only one or two Gmail accounts of a domain, then congratulations, because you can use our Cloud migration solution.
The demo version of this tool allows you to export data from 2 Office 365 accounts to business Gmail accounts for free. If you have more requirements, kindly opt for the licensed version for end-to-end encrypted migration.
All you need to do is to follow the below steps:
1. Start the tool and select ‘Office 365’ and ‘G Suite’ respectively as Source and Destination.
2. Choose what data you want to export such as emails, contacts, calendar.
3. Fill up details for both cloud platforms you got from pre-requisites.
4. Fetch the user accounts for user mapping.
5. Once mapped, start the export process with the Start button.
That’s it. You can open the Gmail accounts to view all your Office 365 mailbox data.
Once you decide to move from Office 365 to Gmail, you will need to ensure that the method is suitable on you end. That is, if its for free Gmail account or business Gmail and meets your requirements. Also, the fact that you have used Office 365 means you should also have calendars and contacts data along with emails. So, it is good to opt for the above solution that helps you to migrate all of your data to Gmail account. It is a lot more comfortable process with the described software. That way you don’t have to move your mind to the other side too much.