How to Get Rid of “Outlook Data File Has Not Been Configured” Error?
I have installed Outlook 2010 in my system. Moreover, I am also a frequent user of Office 365. Therefore, I have decided to configure my Office 365 account to Outlook 2010. While configuring, I was prompted with an error message showing, “Outlook data file has not been configured”. Now, I am pretty much confused with this error message and I need to fix up this error as quickly as possible. Kindly suggest the best methods to resolve the “This data file has not been configured” issue.
In the above scenario, we see how the error has been occurred. Well, this can be when the system has experienced some possible situations like synchronization error, abrupt termination, virus intrusion, or some other failures. All these issues cause corruption in the OST file. “Your Outlook Data file cannot be configured” error, basically points to the OST file. Outlook 2010 and the latest versions include exciting features that were not added in the earlier versions.
However, when using the MS Exchanger server OST file, most of the users have come across this error. Are you one of those users undergoing a similar error? Then, here in this blog, we will discuss the possible reasons along with the solutions to fix the ”Outlook data file could not be configured in 2016 or 2010” error message.
Possible Symptoms to Check “Outlook data file Has Not Been Configured” Issue
While working on Outlook 2016, 2010, a similar error image as shown below will occur and Outlook will not start
1. Your Outlook data file cannot be configured
What is the Best Alternative to Solve this Error?
As we look around the various approaches to fix “Outlook Data File has not been Configured” error. It is pretty much clear that all these methods have their respective drawbacks. This means it is not reliable and does not provide the assurity to solve this error. Hence, we have come with a remarkable tool which overcomes all the manual limitations. Outlook PST Repair tool is a complete remedy to fix “This Data File has not been Configured” error. It swiftly repairs all such errors which is associated with an Outlook profile.
It is efficient enough to repair the damaged PST file in both ANSI and Unicode file format. In addition, it is capable to recover even the permanent deleted emails from the PST file.
What Causes Outlook to Prompt “Outlook Data File Has Not Been Configured” Error?
- Roaming Profiles
This error generally occurs with the roaming profile of Outlook users which is been connected to MS Exchange Server of an organization. These accounts are saved in the shared network which makes easy for the user to connect with their Outlook profiles. Therefore, during the execution of this action, a user may encounter with this error message.
- Missing Outlook Data Files
Whenever an error message i.e., “This Data File has not been Configured” occurs. This is can be when an Outlook profile gets crashed during the import. Due to this, OST and PST files get misplaced. This ultimately makes the Outlook to pop-up this error message
- Virus Intrusion
Another factor could be due to the virus attack which causes the PST and the OST file to corrupt. These damaged Outlook data files may lead to cause this error
Curatives to Solve this Error in Outlook 2019/ 2016 / 2010 etc.
Now, to resolve “Outlook Data File has not been Configured” error, one needs to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Check and confirm the paths of the data files(PST & OST) which Outlook is looking for
- In case of OST file, delete the file from your system and download it from the Exchange Server
- Now, reinstall Outlook and open the files again
- Then, try inbuilt inbox repair tool that is scanpst.exe & scanost.exe
How to Resolve “Outlook Data File Has Not Been Configured” Error?
MS Exchange Server uses an offline data file(OST), This data file is a replica of information which is saved on your mail server. Now, if the problem is with OST file, the file can be deleted and downloaded again. Hence, we recommend to recreate it instead of using the Inbox Repair Tool. For that, follow the below listed steps,
- First of all, exit your Outlook profile
- Now, go to Control Panel>>write Mail>>select Mail
- Then, select E-Mail accounts and choose the Data Files and select the Exchange account
- Now, close the Account Settings and the Mail Setup box
- Then, return to the File Explorer window
- After that, right-click the Exchange data file(OST) and select Delete option
Besides this, there occurs a situation wherein Outlook prompts error message your Outlook data file cannot be configured, pointing towards the NST file format. While many Outlook users are not much familiar with this file extension. So, read on and know the procedure to fix NST file which displays this error message.
What is NST File Format?
NST is a storage file format which is created in Outlook 2016, 2010 and the below versions. This file is created when a user works on offline mode. So, here is the solution to fix Outlook data file error in NST file.
How to Fix Outlook Data File(NST) Has Not Been Configured Issue Manually?
Step 1: Verify Windows System for Corruption
- Firstly, click on Windows+R shortcut key
- Then, enter cmd in the search box and hit Enter
- Then, type sfc/scannow and press Enter(Require Admin Privileges to execute this command)
Step 2: Update the Latest Windows Update
- Here, click the Start button first
- Now, type Update and press the Enter key
- A Windows wizard will appear in the next section
- If the updates are available, then select Install Updates option
Step 3: Clean Up Unwanted Files
- Click Windows+R shortcut key
- Then, type Cleanmgr and hit on Enter key
- Now, pick the OS partition and click OK
- Then, click on Clean Up system files
In most of the cases, when “Outlook Data File has not been Configured” error occurs for NST file, then the above approach will help you resolve from the error. If in case the problem still persists, then it is advised to check your system from an expert.
How to Fix ”This Data File Has Not Been Configured” Error for PST File?
A user can solve this error using the scanpst.exe which is an inbuilt utility by Microsoft. To do the same, follow the below-listed steps in sequence,
Step 1: Locate the Scanpst.exe on your System
- Outlook 2016 – Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16
- Outlook 2013 – Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15
- Outlook 2010 – Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
- Outlook 2007 – Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
Step 2: Run the Scanpst.exe Utility on the Local Machine
- Firstly, exit Outlook if it is running and double-click the scanpst.exe utility
- Then, click Browse to locate the PST file to fix ”Outlook data file cannot been configured” issue
- If you are unable to find the location of the PST file, then open Outlook
- Click File menu>> Info>> Account Settings>> Data Files
- Then, note the PST file path and the name
- Now, exit from the Outlook email application
- Then, browse and locate the PST file and click Start to begin the repair process
- If the scanning process prompts any error, then fix the error
- Once the repair process gets complete, launch the Outlook with the repaired profile
What are the Shortcomings Associated with Scanpst.exe Method?
- Fails to tackle serious PST errors and corruptions. Hence, only low-level errors are fixed with this approach
- It causes risk in terms of data loss, as the files are not completely recovered from the damaged PST file
- Fails to maintains data integrity as the repaired files are placed at different folders than the original folder hierarchy
- It causes damage to the original file after it fixes the error
- Must have sufficient technical knowledge to repair the corrupted PST file
Few Closing Thoughts
It is quite often to receive different error messages while working with Outlook. One such error is “Outlook Data File has not been Configured”. One can easily execute the various approaches discussed in this blog to resolve this error. With the manual method, it is not possible to completely rely on to curb this error. As it requires proper technical knowledge to function the different commands. To overcome from all these drawbacks, use the Outlook PST file reapair tool to fix all such errors due to the corruption in the PST file.