How to Recreate OST File in Outlook – Steps to Delete & Rebuild File
Summary: Are you looking for a solution to recreate OST file in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007? Do you find any trouble in creating or rebuilding a new OST file? If yes, then you can refer this article as it explains both manual and automated solution so that the OST file becomes accessible again.
OST file which is also known as Offline Storage Table file is created by Microsoft Outlook. This file format is used to save all copies of emails from the Exchange server. In that way, if the users want to continue their work without an internet connection, they can work on mailboxes in the Cache mode. Moreover, when the internet connection resumes, the Offline OST file is automatically synchronized with the mail server and modifications are uploaded as well.
Basically, the Outlook OST file is very important. Because it facilitates the capacity of storing data up to 50 GB. So, the user might be used to store as much data as they want to use. It helps to restore lost or deleted mailboxes if there is any kind of damage in the file. Hence, it depends on the version of the Windows Operating System, in different versions OST file is stored in different locations.
However, the advantages of the Outlook OST file are noteworthy, but there are a few limitations too. Likely if the user account has been compromised, then the OST file will be of no use, and regaining it would be futile. At certain times, the OST file has become corrupted itself, its recovery procedure will be very time-consuming. So, in this case, the user tries to delete and recreate OST file in Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016, but they are unable to do so. Here, we are going to discuss an ultimate solution of your query.
All Possible Factors to Rebuild OST File in Outlook
Here are several reasons behind the corruption of Outlook OST file. Once it happens, they will become totally inaccessible. There are following factors that may corrupt OST file, which is listed below:
- Virus attack or worms in the Operating System
- Power failure during the synchronizing of data files
- Network error while synchronization of each file
- Bugs and errors in MS Outlook & Storage Device
- The storage files have been reached their maximum capacity
Manual Techniques for Rebuilding OST File in MS Outlook
With the help of the manual approach, users can rebuild/ recreate their OST file in MS Outlook. Thus, users have to perform some simple steps. Let us take a look:
How to Recreate OST in MS Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016
- First, launch MS Outlook, go to File menu and choose Info option. Then, select Account Settings.
- Under Account Settings window screen, choose E-mail tab and, then Microsoft Exchange. The system will show the Change E-mail Account.
- Now, go to More Settings.
- From Microsoft Exchange window, choose the ‘Advanced’ option.
- Click on the Offline Folder File Settings.
- From the File field, fill the location of an OST file.
- Press the OK button. The system defines the name of OST file as Outlook.ost. If a particular file with the same name previously exists in the system, users will be prompted for the new file name.
- Click OK button, and then select Finish.
Well, the system will create a new OST file successfully.
How to Rebuild OST File in MS Outlook 2007
- Run Outlook application and then, go to ‘Account Settings’.
- From the Account Settings screen, choose E-mail >> Microsoft Exchange. Now, the system shows the change email account
- Select an option of ‘More Settings’.
- Here in MS Exchange Window, users have to choose ‘Advanced’.
- Now, opt Offline File Folder Settings.
- Under the File Field, choose the path of Outlook .ost file
- Select ‘OK’. By default system names the file as Outlook.ost. If already there is another file present with the same name then the user will be notified to an alternate new file name.
- Finally, select ‘OK’ to finish the process and then, choose “Finish”.
In any case, if the above-stated methods are getting failed thus, the users can opt for an alternate solution named as OST Conversion Software. This tool is programmed especially to rebuild Outlook OST file. With this utility, users can repair corrupt .ost files without losing a single bit of data. This software is compatible with Microsoft Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, and below versions. It has a simple and easy-to-use interface that even a novice user can use it. Some of the impressive features of this tool are listed below:
1. Allows to recovers highly damaged Outlook OST files.
2. No Size limitation to recreate / rebuild Offline OST file.
3. Preserve Metadata attributes i.e., Message Dates etc.
4. Option to split exported files to avoid data corruption.
Follow The Steps to Export Damaged offline Outlook files to PST format
- Launch the OST File converter tool on Your System.
2. Click on Add file button and choose the OST file from your system.
3. Now Choose the Scan Mode from Quick and Advanced Scan Mode.
4. Preview the OST file Emails, Contacts, Calendars and Click on Export.
5. Select the file format PST and browse the destination location to save the mailbox data.
In this blog, we have discussed a step-by-step procedure to recreate OST file in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010 manually. But sometimes manual methods have some drawbacks like it is a very time consuming and lengthy process. Therefore, the user can opt for a commercial solution mentioned above. Also, we have discussed some advanced features of the tool in an efficient way.