Apple Mail Does Not Show Attachments of Emails? Resolve here
The problem depicted here mainly occurs in Mac OS Sierra 10.12. If you are having similar issues in other versions, the step may differ however the general idea remains the same.
MacOS Sierra(version 10.12) was launched as the thirteenth major release of the operating system for Macintosh computers. On one hand, it came with some exciting new features such as Siri integration. While on the other hand, it introduced a lot of issues in the Mail App. One of these issues has been constantly queried by the users in internet forums. In their case, Apple Mail does not show attachments of emails. Therefore, in this article, we will walk you through the process to resolve the above-stated issue.
Problems that can relate to when Apple Mail does not show attachments
Before wrapping up, we would like to provide some issues faced by users frequently that are similar to the one discussed here. The instructions provided in this article can be implemented in either of these situations.
- The paperclip icon is displayed normally with emails, but after opening the email message, the attachments disappear.
- After updating to Sierra OS, all email attachments you had vanished from your inbox.
- All email attachments received before the macOS update are working, but Apple mail won’t download attachments that are new.
- The email attachments disappear once you reply to that email or move it to a different folder.
- The documents that are attached to encrypted emails cannot be opened.
- You are expecting an attachment in the sender’s email but cannot find any attached file.
How to fix Mail not showing attachments on MacOS Sierra
In order to solve the issue at hand, we are going to rebuild the inbox manually. The procedure is simple and straightforward one. However, just in case, it is advised to create a recent backup of your Mac before initiating the process. Follow the instructions given below sequentially when Apple Mail does not show attachments:
1. Launch the Mac Mail application on your local machine
2. Now, click on the Mail icon in the menu bar to see the Mail menu
3. Here, go to Mailbox and choose the Rebuild option on the bottom of the menu
4. This will start the rebuilding process. Wait for it to complete as it may take some time depending on your mailbox data.
5. Next, again go to the Mail menu and select Preferences from the given options
6. Now, click on Accounts and choose the email account where Apple Mail does not show attachments
7. On the Account Information tab, choose All in the dropdown list of Download Attachments
8. Finally, close the Preferences and open your emails which are having attachments. Now you should be able to view all attachments along with the messages.
There are times when users misinterpret the situation when receiving emails with attachments. Like, in case of very large attachments, a download link is provided in emails instead of the expected attached files. This usually happens when an iCloud user sends a large size file which by default gets transferred via Mail Drop. Also, one cannot open any incompatible or corrupt attachment files. So make sure to have these things in mind too when Apple Mail does not show attachments.
Important: The method to resolve ‘Apple mail does not show attachments in emails’ is upto here only. Below is the query (with relevant solution) depicting a frustrated user who wishes to forsake Mac Mail and switch to other email clients.
“Hi, I have been using Mail App on my MacBook for a while now. But ever since updating my macOS to Sierra, I cannot access any of my mail attachments. These attached files are an important part of my professional career and I cannot risk incidents like these anymore. So, I am shifting to Outlook platform. Kindly suggest me a relevant solution so I could export all my Mail data to MS Outlook with attachments. Thank you!”
In situations like described in the query, many users decide to migrate to other email clients. Having minimal issues and maximum features, MS Outlook comes as a natural choice for them. Therefore, we are also providing a professional solution that is Mac MBOX Converter for similar queries.
With this software, you can easily export the Mac Mail emails to Outlook along with all their attachments. The advanced algorithm used in the tool not only transfers the attached files but also preserves other vital email properties. Also, users can get eight different previews of each and every email message along with viewing their attachments. The tool’s layout is simple, user-friendly and does not require any expert’s guidance.
Many users faced “Mac Mail not showing attachments” issue after upgrading their macOS systems to Sierra(10.12). It can occur in a variety of ways as discussed above. However, the solution to each of them remains the same. For some, it is just a display bug which can easily be fixed by the manual means described in the article. But for business-oriented users, when Apple Mail does not show attachments, it can hamper their income. Therefore we also provided an expert solution which can convert all Mac mail emails to different formats with all attachments intact. Users can either keep a backup of all their email messages or migrate to some other client such as Outlook to access their data with attachments.