How to Migrate Mac Mail to Outlook 2019 – Most Efficient Way
In this era, where technology changes so fast, no one really knows for how long they will be working on the same application. This is true in the case of email migration as well. Here, we want to take your attention to the point of How to Migrate Mac Mail to Outlook.
Hence, here in this era, we will mention all the possible methods to fix this user’s issue without any problem. You just have to go through it till the end of this blog. And learn each method carefully.
This article encompasses proper solutions for both Windows & Mac platforms. So just dig in!
What Complications Arise to Migrate Mac Mail to Outlook?
A simple answer to this question would be that both these email clients are incompatible in terms of data storage files. Here, Mac Mail makes use of a single file with a .mbox extension to save all its mailbox data. The Outlook client depends on OST and PST format for the same. Also, this generic mailbox file of Mac mail only stores emails and attachments. Whereas, Outlook data file saves everything from emails, attachments, tasks, calendars, contacts, etc. Thus the data file conversion process is more complex than it actually appears.
If we talk about official methods then, neither of the two email clients provides any kind of native support for migration. Not even, Mac Outlook provides any solution for this, though it operates on the same platform.
How to Migrate Mac Mail to Outlook 2019?
Technically there are 3 methods that users can implement for a successful migration to the Outlook platform. But should be noted that each way has its own set of conditions that must be met. Let’s take a look at them:
- Using Eudora to Migrate Mac Mail emails to Outlook
- A 3-step manual Mac Mail to Outlook migration
- The Automated Mac Mail to Outlook Migrate utility
Each of the defined manual processes has one prerequisite i.e, the generation of MBOX mailbox files from Mac Mail. So before moving on, make sure you have the data files.
Prerequisite – Exporting Mac Mail mailboxes
- Open the Mac Mail application and select the folders
- Right-click on the folder and choose Export Mailbox… option
- Set the storage location to save the mailbox database
- Repeat the steps for each and every mailbox folder that you wish to export.
In case there is no Export option, follow the given alternative:
- Open the Finder, and go to Library.
- From here, navigate to Mail – The mailboxes folder. Here, all the MBOX files will be present. Simply copy them to an easily accessible location (say, a folder on the Desktop)
I. Using Eudora to Migrate Mac Mail to Outlook
In this method, we will rename all the Mac mailbox files and open them in Eudora. Then use the native import option of Outlook to access the emails. The steps to do so are as follows:
1. Rename the mailbox files to end with .mbx extension (say, Inbox.mbox → Inbox.mbx)
2. Copy the renamed files to the Eudora location:
- C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora\, or
- C:\Users\USER\Roaming\AppData\Qualcomm\Eudora\, or
- C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Qualcomm\Eudora\
3. Run the Eudora application and double-click on the MBX file.
4. Run Outlook 2010 or a lower version & go to File > Open.
5. Select the Import option > import Internet mail and Addresses > click Next.
6. Now select the Eudora (Pro and Light) option from the list and hit Next.
7. In the browse section select the Eudora Mail folder and click Ok for process initiation.
The first and foremost issue with this method is that the defined import option is only present in Outlook 2010 and lower versions. Not to mention that none of the Mac Outlook platform even have this from the start.
So in order to migrate Mac Mail to Outlook, export the PST file from Outlook 2010/2007, then import it in Outlook 2019, 2016 for Mac or Windows.
II. A 3-step manual Mac Mail to Outlook migration
In this method, there is a requirement for two external applications i.e., Eudora(7 or lower) and Outlook Express. The steps are as follows:
Step 1. (Same as the previous method)
- Rename all the Mac mail .mbox files into .mbx files and move them to the Eudora mailbox location.
- Launch Eudora and double-click on MBX files. Close Eudora.
- Launch Outlook Express and go to the File menu
- Select Import > Messages, choose Eudora and hit Next
- Now, browse the renamed MBX files.
- Click on Next (x2) and hit the Finish button.
Source: Microsoft site
- Launch MS Outlook 2010 or 2007, and open the Import/Export wizard.
- Choose this option – Import internet mail and addresses, and click Next.
- Choose Outlook Express, click Next > Finish.
The complete process is lengthy and time-consuming. Additionally, there is a requirement of outdated external applications like Eudora and Outlook Express. User needs to make sure to keep backup of Mac Mail files as there are chances of data loss in this case.
The Automated Way to Migrate Mac Mail to Outlook
After going through these two solutions, it is understandable why professionals always direct users toward third-party utilities.
- First, there are no direct/ native methods for such migration.
- Second, the workarounds are either outdated or carry too much risk.
- Third, almost every solution assumes that conversion is for the Windows platform
But don’t worry! We have got you covered.
Use MBOX to PST Converter for quality conversion without losing a single shred of data. It allows quick and easy Mac mail to Outlook 2019 migration without sacrificing the email attributes.
Some features associated with this solution are:
- Quick and Easy migration of multiple Mac Mail mailboxes to Outlook
- It does not compromise when it comes to giving quality results.
- Be it bulk mode or selective email conversion, the tool does it all.
- Preserves every little detail: Inline Images, attachments, folder hierarchy, header addresses, and email formatting.
- Merge or split the Mac Mail mailboxes as per requirements.
- A smart application that generates results compatible with Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013 and below.
- Two different variants for two different platforms: Windows & Mac – Choose what you want.
Steps to Migrate Mac Mail to Outlook 2019
Step 1. Run Mac Mail to Outlook converter.
Step 2. Click Add File & import Mac Mail files.
Step 3. Select PST format & set destination location.
Step 4. Click Export to migrate Mac Mail to Outlook.
Two different solutions for two different platforms. Simply choose what you seek: a Windows version for migrating Mac Mail to Outlook 2019 or Mac version to do the same on a Mac machine.
The free trial version allows conversion of 25 emails per folder from Mac Mail to Outlook PST.
Yes, you can switch to any Outlook version without any issues. It includes Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 & 2003.
Yes, you can choose the solution as per your Operating system requirements.
Yes, solutions for both Mac & Windows are available in the blog.
Also Read: How to Transfer Mac Mail to Office 365 best solution.