Difference Between Sharepoint and OneDrive for Business
Usually, users can store their files on an external thumb drive, hard disk, or any other medium to keep data safe. Furthermore, it becomes quite impossible to share these files with friends or colleagues, unless you plan on mailing them copies all the time. Besides this, cloud solutions permit us to store each file on the centralized servers and access them from a large number of devices. Two types of cloud-based platforms are Microsoft’s SharePoint and OneDrive for Business. Therefore, in this blog, we are going to discuss the main difference between Sharepoint and OneDrive for Business in a detailed manner.
What is SharePoint and its Feature?
SharePoint is a file sharing and storage platform that allows users to collaborate on files, documents, and projects. It offers an impressive range of document libraries, calendars, task lists, workflows, and other features, SharePoint can help team members collaborate using a team-oriented platform.
All information is available to the team members, and anyone with privileged access can modify and create their documents. In addition, SharePoint has three deployment modes like on-premises, cloud, and hybrid. Each mode that comes with a variety of pricing models, makes SharePoint ideal for businesses of all sizes. Some unique features of the SharePoint are mentioned below:
- Scalability: SharePoint is more scalable and can indicate multiple business needs in one package, saving your time, money, and some IT resources.
- Integration: SharePoint can integrate with much other software. If you are using SharePoint for business solutions, still you can access documents from any other application in SharePoint, such as MS Office.
- Integrated reports: It allows for the generation of several documents that can be integrated with Microsoft Power BI.
Flexibility: SharePoint gives countless options for integration as well as customization. You can run it with the help of an IT team to meet all the requirements of a company.
- Security: Microsoft has improved the authorization and authentication protocols for SharePoint to allow customized user access. This simply means you can specify all access privileges to restrict what team members can view.
What is OneDrive and its Feature?
The difference between SharePoint and OneDrive for Business is discussed below but first, find the OneDrive features also.
Using OneDrive, you can save your crucial files on the cloud and access them by logging in to your account from another device that contains local OneDrive folders, the app & internet connection. Your files are automatically synced at your convenience, and you can also edit or update them at any instance of time. Moreover, there are two different versions of OneDrive such as OneDrive Personal and OneDrive for Business. However, these two share a similar name, they do not offer the same exact features. Follow some extraordinary features of OneDrive are mentioned below:
- Functionality: A large range of people can access their work files out of an office in ways that make the IT department shudder. Whether it is possible via personal emails, Google Documents, DropBox, or old-fashioned flash drives. By including OneDrive for Business, every employee can maintain the same functionalities but under boundaries pre-set out by IT.
- Backup of Documents: With OneDrive for Business, files that are saved to a specific folder on the user’s desktop or laptop can now be stored in cloud storage instead. This is the best approach because if the organization may lose access to a device, their files can easily be accessed. In this case, downtime could be kept to a minimum.
- Simple synchronization: Backing up all documents online is not only a security measure, it also becomes a great mobility feature. When users try to save their files locally in the synchronized folder, all these documents/ files are automatically saved to their OneDrive folder. It means users can access their documents from anywhere.
- Co-authoring feature: Collaborate files with another user at the same time by syncing a file with MS Office. If there arises a conflict between file versions, end users can decide if they need to merge, change, or keep both copies of the same document.
Difference between SharePoint and OneDrive For Business
The following tabular information covers the comparison of SharePoint and OneDrive for Business:
|Features||Microsoft SharePoint||OneDrive For Business|
|Permission Management||Permission management is centralized or also controlled by people in charge.||You can control who has access to your files.|
|Ownership||Every file belongs to a group or team member.||You can control your own files.|
|Accessibility||Regularly accessed via browser to avail all features, but files could be accessed from a local folder.||Allows access from the browser, local folders, or application.|
|Privacy||Uploads an inherit permissions from the directory or folder in which they are uploaded by default.||All uploads are private until you have decided to share them.|
|Data Sharing||Users can access SharePoint using a branded company page that is organized by an admin.||Users can sign in to their own OneDrive for business accounts. Moreover, the interface is not shared.|
Selection Between SharePoint and OneDrive For Business
Thus, when it comes down to the selection of one among the two, it becomes clear that OneDrive for Business and SharePoint are not entirely the same, yet not absolutely different. For an organization looking for a company portal that provides human resources, tools, project management, and web optimization, SharePoint is a clear winner. On the other hand, OneDrive is well suited for companies that are searching to implement the basic solution for storage and file-sharing capabilities.
Yet OneDrive is totally integrated with Cloud through Microsoft Office 365, business teams will have the ability to sync files with any given device which make access easy at any time, anywhere.
Wrapping It Up
In this write-up, we have discussed both SharePoint and OneDrive for business along with their features in detail. After understanding the various aspects of both, a detailed comparison is covered here. This will let users understand the exact difference between SharePoint and OneDrive for Business.
Also Find: How to Migrate OneDrive for Business with the help of OneDrive for Business Migration Tool easily.