Trouble-Free Exchange Mailbox Backup and Restore Process
Most of the Microsoft Exchange Server administrators are careful about the data items stored on servers to the point of backing it up regularly. This process ensures that if the Exchange database fails due to any reason, then data can be easily restored from the backup file. In today’s arena where emails have been using at a large scale, people cannot afford to lose any single email. So, it is essential to perform Exchange mailbox backup and restore process. However, this guide is all about the backing up and restoring the Exchange data items.
How to Perform Exchange Mailbox Backup and Restore Process?
If you want to perform backup and restore Exchange mailboxes database procedure, then first you need to create a backup of Exchange mailboxes in PST format. After that, you can restore the Exchange data from the mailboxes via the resultant PST file. We will discuss both the steps in the next section.
Two Steps of Exchange Mailbox Backup and Restore Process
Step 1 – Backup Exchange Mailbox
In order to create a backup of Exchange Server mailboxes, people use Windows server backup process. You can also use the export Exchange Mailbox to PST utility to take a backup of Exchange mailboxes in PST format. This tool provides an option to save entire Exchange data items like emails, contacts, calendars, and task to PST format with the help of admin account.
Safe & Secure Purchase Now
30 Days Money Back*
This tool is designed with such algorithm that it can easily perform the safe and secure migration. It is accessible in all the versions of Outlook and supports Exchange 2016, 13, and below versions. For creating a backup of Microsoft Exchange, perform the following steps given below:
1. First of all, install and run the Exchange Export application.
2. Then, enter all the valid credentials of admin, select server version of Exchange, enter Active Directory IP and Exchange Server IP. You can click the checkbox next to “Include Sub-Domain User’s” field, if you have to back up the file from the sub-domain users. Now, click on the Login button and start the Exchange mailbox backup and restore process.
3. After that, the list of mailboxes is displayed in front of you. You can view the mailboxes which do not have Write Permission. You need to select the required mailboxes that you want to save as a back and Hit on Next button.
4. You can check or uncheck the mailbox items like emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, journals and notes for exporting into the PST file.
5. Then, go to the categories of mailboxes that you have to transfer from Office 365 to PST file.
6. You can also apply any filter when you need to migrate the selective items.
7. After choosing the required mailbox items, you can also apply the date based filter on them to backup only the selective items. Here you can maintain the folder structure in PST file by clicking on Maintain Folder Hierarchy option. If you want to divide the PST file then check the option next to Split Options for Outlook Data File.
8. Now, click on the Browse button and choose the destination location to save the resultant PST file.
9. Next, Hit on Export button to take a backup of Exchange mailbox in PST format.
10. After completion of migration, click on the Save Report button to see the details of Exchange mailbox backup and restore process.
Check out the restore process in the following segment.
Step 2 – Restore Backup File
If you have created a backup of Exchange mailboxes in PST file and now you need to restore the data again on the Exchange Server. Then, you can use the Exchange Import program for this purpose. This application helps users to import PST file to Microsoft Exchange Server without facing any issue. It can restore all data items of PST such as emails, contacts, calendars, notes, etc. to Exchange in bulk. Let’s have a look at the working of Exchange Import tool to perform Exchange mailbox backup and restore process.
1. To start the process, download, install and run the Exchange Import utility.
2. Then, click on Add File button to choose the desired PST file that you want to restore into Exchange and Hit on the Next button.
3. Now, enter the credentials of admin, Active Directory IP, and Exchange Server IP. You can mark the check box corresponding to “Search User’s in Sub-Domain” field.
4. After entering all the details you can press the Submit button.
5. Enter the mailbox credentials that you want to restore. You can also apply the filters on the data items.
6. Now, mark the checkbox corresponding to the “Advanced settings” option. It will help users to maintain folder hierarchy and folder mapping.
7. Finally, click on the Import button and all information from the PST file is imported into the Exchange Server.
An Exchange mailbox can contain lots of crucial information. So, it is required to have a backup of Exchange mailboxes for recovery of data in the case of any disaster. Hence, in this post, we have talked about Exchange mailbox backup and restore process. You can use Exchange Export software to backup Exchange mailboxes in PST and Exchange Import application to restore the information from a backup.