How to Resolve Gmail Running out of Space Issue?
Are you getting “Gmail Quota exceeded (user mailbox full)” message? Then, we have solutions for you!
Google provides only 15 GB of storage spaces to its free Gmail users. This storage space includes Gmail mailboxes, Google Drive, contacts, calendars, photos, and other Google Apps data as well. When all the provided storage space is used, then while storing more data or receiving mails, users get a message “Gmail Quota exceeded (user mailbox is full).
Most of the account holders never reach that limit. But, some of the users still face Gmail running out of space problem. Because, Gmail account provides more applications such as Google Drive, Google Photos and Gmail archives, which takes a lot of space. Thus, in this write-up, we will tell you how to fix Gmail running out of space problem and a solution for Gmail data backup. Let’s have a look at the user’s query to understand this problem.
“Yesterday I was using my Gmail account and then all of sudden I got a message ‘your Gmail account is out of storage space’. Still, I was confused about why this message is coming and how to get rid of this message. Can anyone suggest me a suitable approach to free up some space in Gmail?”
Why Gmail Running Out of Space Message Occurs?
Nowadays Gmail is the most preferred web-based email client for communication. Gmail plays an important role in the user’s life and it is the prominent choice of all users. It facilitates the best email services available these days. It does not only provide a large Inbox folder but also there are more benefits of utilizing this service. Most Gmail users linked their mobile and other multimedia devices with their Gmail account. All the data such as images, documents, etc will be synchronized with their Gmail account.
However, Gmail users have only 15 gigabytes of storage space to data in a free Gmail account. If your Gmail account storage is running out of space then clearly, you are not able to store the new data. Along with this, there are also some issues faced by Gmail users. In this case, syncing and uploading the new data in Gmail is impossible. In addition, it stops the process of synchronization between Google Drive and My Drive folders. Hence, it is best to take a backup Gmail data on the desktop. Then, remove it from the Gmail account. This is the simplest way to control “Gmail running out of space” problem.
Methods to Resolve Gmail Quota Exceeded Issue?
There are two ways using which user can resolve this problem:
- Perform 3 Manual Methods to Solve the Problem.
- Use Automated Solution for resolving Gmail running out of space problem
Manual Approach to Free Up Storage Space in Gmail
In order to clear up storage space in Gmail, you can archive the mail holding attachments and just delete it from the mailbox. This is the way by which you can simply remove the massive amount of unwanted data and free the storage without wasting too much time. Now, there are some simple steps given for doing this task in a convenient way. Just, follow this step by step procedure that is discussed below:
Step 1:- Put All Emails with Attachments Together
- First, log in your Gmail account using the credentials
- After that, go to the search bar and select the drop-down arrow
- Then, check the option “Has Attachment” & click the Search button
- Now, all the attachments holding emails are sorted. You just need to select all of them.
- Further, click the ‘Label icon’ & create new label option
- Next, give a name to this label and click the Create button
After creating the label, the new label keeps all the required emails. Now, it is the time to archive them using the Google Takeout.
Step 2:- Archive Google Mails using Google Takeout
- First, sign in your Google Takeout by using Gmail credentials
- Then, select the Create Archive option
- After that, enable the Mail option and go to the drop-down arrow in the Gmail option and choose Select label option.
- Now, all labels that are present in your mail account will appear. Then, you need to check that Attachment label that you have generated in step 1 & click on OK button.
- Choose Next button for customizing the archive format. Then, select “Zip files” as an archive file format.
- From the Into Archive size portion, choose 2 GB size limitations.
- Now, select the Send download link via email option & click on “Create Archive” button to begin the archive process.
- When the process is completed successfully, then go and check the mailbox to download the link
- Now, open the mail by Google Takeout and select ‘Download Archive’ button
Step 3:- Bulk Delete Archived Mail from Gmail
When you have finished the process of downloading all emails with attachments on your local machine, you can simply delete it from the Gmail account. To do the same, follow the steps given below:
- First of all, sign in your account and go to the Search bar
- Now, choose the Has: Attachment checkbox and click the Search button
- After that, all emails holding attachments will sort in front of you
- Then, select all of them and “choose Delete” option
After completion of this process, you can see all the deleted emails in bulk. Moreover, with the help of this method, you can simply get rid of Gmail running out of space issue.
Best Method to Resolve Gmail Running Out of Space issue
The above discussed manual solution is a time-consuming and lengthy process. However, this Gmail archiving method resolves the user’s problems but there are some limitations. For resolving out of space problem in Gmail, users can use an alternate approach. One of the best approaches is to use the Gmail Backup Tool. This method is fast and much easier to execute than the other methods. Additionally, during the backup process, the tool provides various unique features such as:
- Takes a backup of complete Gmail account data.
- Provides Folder filter to backup selective Gmail mailboxes
- Date and Category filter option for selective data backup
- Provides options to take backup in multiple formats such as PST, EML, MSG & MBOX
- Incremental backup features to skip the data which already backup in the last attempt
- Delete After Download option to free up Gmail server space after downloading data.
- This tool is available for both Window and Mac users
- Generates a detailed report of the data that has been backed up.
Let’s Wrap up
Users can go with any of the approaches to resolve the Gmail running out of space error. Because Gmail quota exceeded is the most common problem that is faced by the Gmail account holder. And, it needs a quick solution because users are not able to store huge amount of data in Gmail. Thus, Gmail Backup tool is an appropriate solution to resolve the issue.