How to Resolve Gmail Running out of Space Issue?
Are you getting “Gmail running out of space” message? Then, we have solutions for you!
Google provides only 15 GB of storage space to its free Gmail users. This storage space includes Gmail mailboxes, Google Drive, contacts, calendars, photos, and other Google Apps data as well.
When all the provided storage space is used, then while storing more data or receiving mails, users get a message that their storage space is full.
Most of the account holders never reach that limit. But, some of the users still face this problem because of a heavy incoming flow.
Generally users find the Gmail storage space full issue because Gmail account provides more applications such as Google Drive, Google Photos and Gmail archives, which takes a lot of space.
Thus, in this write-up, we will tell you how to fix the running out of space problem and a solution for Gmail data backup. Let’s have a look at the user’s query to understand this problem.
“Yesterday I was using my Gmail account and then all of sudden I got a message saying the my account is running out of storage space. Still, I was confused about why this message is coming and how to get rid of this message. Can anyone suggest me a suitable approach to free up some space?”
Why Gmail Running Out of Space Message Occurs?
Nowadays Gmail is the most preferred web-based email client for communication. Gmail plays an important role in the user’s life and it is the prominent choice of all users.
It facilitates the best email services available these days. It does not only provide a large Inbox folder but also there are more benefits of utilizing this service.
Most users linked their mobile and other multimedia devices with their Gmail account. All the data such as images, documents, etc. will be synchronized with their account.
However, Gmail users have only 15 gigabytes of storage space to data in a free account.
If you see that Gmail storage space full error is showing up, then clearly, you are not able to store the new data. Along with this, there are also some issues faced by Gmail users.
In this case, syncing and uploading the new data in Gmail is impossible. In addition, it stops the process of synchronization between Google Drive and My Drive folders.
Hence, it is best to take a backup of your data on the desktop. Then, remove it from the Gmail account. This is the simplest way to control the Gmail running out of space problem.
Here, you will find out about the methods that will help you to solve the error and get more space. Let’s get started!
Methods to Resolve Storage Space Filling Issue
There are two ways using which you can solve this issue:
The manual methods consist of some limitations that we are going to explain in the section later.
Manual Approach to Fix Gmail Storage Space Full Error
In order to clear up the storage space, you can archive the mail holding attachments and just delete it from the mailbox.
This is the way by which you can simply remove the massive amount of unwanted data and free the storage without wasting too much time.
Now, there are some simple steps given for doing this task in a convenient way. Just, follow this step by step procedure that is discussed below:
Step 1:- Put All Emails with Attachments Together
- First, log in your Gmail account using the credentials to start resolving Gmail running out of storage space issue.
- After that, go to the search bar and select the drop-down arrow.
- Then, check the option “Has Attachment” & click the Search button.
- Now, all the attachments holding emails are sorted. You just need to select all of them.
- Further, click the ‘Label icon’ & create new label option.
- Next, give a name to this label and click the Create button
After creating the label, the new label keeps all the required emails. Now, it is the time to archive them using the Google Takeout.
Step 2:- Archive Mails Before Deleting to Fix Gmail Running Out of Space Error
- First, sign in your Google Takeout by using Gmail credentials
- Then, select the Create Archive option
- After that, enable the Mail option and go to the drop-down arrow in the Gmail option and choose Select label option.
- Now, all labels that are present in your mail account will appear. Then, you need to check that Attachment label that you have generated in step 1 & click on OK button.
- Choose Next button for customizing the archive format. Then, select “Zip files” as an archive file format to save data before you fix Gmail storage space full issue.
- From the Into Archive size portion, choose 2 GB size limitations.
- Now, select the Send download link via email option & click on “Create Archive” button to begin the archive process.
- When the process is completed successfully, go and check the mailbox to download the link.
- Now, open the mail by Google Takeout and select ‘Download Archive’ button.
This way, you will get your data files on the local storage.
Step 3:- Bulk Delete Archived Mail to Resolve Gmail Storage Space Full Error
When you have finished the process of downloading all emails with attachments on your local machine, you can simply delete it from the account. To do the same, follow the steps given below:
- First of all, sign in your account and go to the Search bar.
- Now, choose the Has: Attachment checkbox and click the Search button.
- After that, all emails holding attachments will sort in front of you.
- Then, select all of them and choose “Delete” option.
After completion of this process, you can see all the deleted emails in bulk & get rid of Gmail running out of space issue.
But, this method takes more time than necessary to complete.
It doesn’t take backup of the data & delete it altogether. You have to perform different procedures for these operations. This takes more time and makes the process lengthy.
There is another technique for the same.
Best Method to Resolve the Space Filling Fast Issue
The above discussed manual solution is a time-consuming and lengthy process. However, this Gmail archiving method resolves the user’s problems but there are some limitations.
For resolving Gmail storage space full problem, users can use an alternate approach. One of the best approaches is to use the Gmail Backup Tool for Windows OS.
This method is fast and much easier to execute than the other methods. Additionally, during the backup process, the tool provides various unique features such as:
- Takes a backup of complete Gmail account data.
- Provides Folder filter to backup selective mailboxes
- Date and Category filter option for selective data backup
- Option to backup in PST, EML, MSG, & MBOX to fix Gmail running out of space issue
- Incremental backup features to skip the data which already backup in the last attempt
- Delete After Download option to free up server space after downloading data
- Generates a detailed report of the data that has been backed up
- This tool is available for Mac OS users as well for all prior & latest versions
Let’s Wrap up
Users can go with any of the approaches to resolve the Gmail running out of space error. Because Gmail quota exceeded is the most common problem that is faced by the Gmail account holder. And, it needs a quick solution because users are not able to store huge amount of data in Gmail. Thus, the backup tool is an appropriate solution to resolve the issue.