If you are planning for mailbox migration to Google Workspace (formerly known as G Suite) accounts, it possible that you already heard of the Google data migration tool (now known as Google Workspace Data Migration service) or Data Migration Service (DMS). This is a migration service developed by Google for its users so that Admin migrate emails to G Suite account from another account. It is the most common and generally recommended tool by Google support & MVPs.
But the most important question, is it the best tool for complete data migration?
The answer is No. It is the year 2021 where the technology is continuously increasing but the Google data migration service is yet the same old. There are many big flaws that are reported by the experts and many problems faced by users while migrating their accounts using DMS. One of the biggest flaws is that it only provides the option to migrate emails, there is no direct support for the transfer of contacts, calendars and Drive data between G Suite accounts.
Therefore, In this blog, we will give you a complete overview of how to use Google’s data migration service and what is the best alternative to it. So read the guide carefully before you choose the method for your organization’s G Suite accounts migration.
The need for migration varies from organization to organization. But there are some common reasons which are as follows:
This automated tool specifically designed by Google for data migration to G Suite. Using this tool organizations can migrate G Suite account data of users from one domain to another. Organization Admin can either migrate emails/contacts/calendars at a time using this application.
Migration of emails using this utility is simple but to migration of contacts and calendar requires Microsoft Exchange Server, without it, it is not possible to migrate both the items.
1. Go to http://admin.google.com/ and login using Destination Admin Credentials (Id and Password)
2. From the Admin Panel, choose the “Data Migration” option.
3. Select the Migration Source as “G Suite” using the drop-down menu.
4. Next, select the item to migrate as “Emails”. Select the Connection protocol, “Auto select (Recommended)” option.
5. Now enter the Source Admin credentials in the “Role Account” and click on Connect.
6. From next window, choose the migrate Start date. This will transfer the data from the G Suite account from the selected date to the present date. After that click on the Add User button.
7. If you select the “Single user” option then, enter the Id and Password of the source user account in Migrate From and select the destination user account from Migrate To option.
8. If you select “Multiple user” option then, follow the below steps:
9. After that, the migration process will begin and the user can see the migration status on the window.
1. Cannot migrate emails, contacts, calendars at the same time
2. Require MS Exchange server for contacts and calendars migration
3. No option to migrate Drive data using the Google Data migration tool
4. Cannot Filter emails of specific Date Range (only start date filter is available)
5. No Category filter option
6. Need to manually enter the details of source and destination user account details
7. Require each source users account password for migration
8. No Incremental migration feature for transferring new & updated data upon re-migration
9. Doesn’t generate migration Report after the completion
10. Migration speed is too slow.
“Hello! I am Steve Robert. I work in an IT company where my role is to manage G Suite and Other Business accounts. We have recently taken merged with a small IT company and all the employees will be joining us soon. They also use G Suite as their business email account. My project is to find a suitable method for transferring data between the G Suite account. I am already familiar with the Google cloud Data migration service inside Admin console. This method is Hell slow and migration halts in between. I have also seen users reporting this tool on various forums. If there is any method other than the Data Migration service, then please let me know. Money is not an option, we require 100% migration success”.
The best alternative of DMS is by using professionals recommended software such as G Suite to G Suite Migration Tool. This automated tool is an all-in-one migration tool that supports multiple platform migration options.
If you are looking for a good alternative to the Google Data migration tool then this tool is for you. No matter the type of G Suite domain, this software can migrate user data from any G Suite domain to another. Additionally, using this tool, users can migrate emails, contacts, calendars, documents simultaneously.
Before starting the migration, the user need to fulfill the basic pre-requisites for migration
1. Download and Launch the Migration Tool
2. After the tool gets activated, choose the Source and Destination Account to begin the procedure.
3. After setting up, go for the Workload Selection. There, choose Category and Apply filters as per the requirements.
4. Furthermore, go to the Source screen and fill the Source Admin details. Also, upload the Certificate File or p12 file. After adding up all the details, click on Validate to provide permissions. Lastly, press Next.
5. On the Destination Screen, provide the mandatory details like Admin Email and Service Account. Validate and click Next.
6. Moving Further to the Users screen, fetch users from the Source domain to commence the migration process. You can also easily import users via CSV file.
7. Validate the authorized users. Press Start Migration and begin the process.
For Detailed Working: Click Here
In this blog, we have explained the working of the Google Data Migration tool and its limitations. The best alternative solution of data migration service (DMS) is also explained in this blog.
For effortless data migration to G Suite, it is recommended by professionals to use the aforementioned automated tool. This software overcomes all the limitations that are imposed by native data migration service.