Hard Drive Shows In Device Manager But Not Disk Management Windows 10
“Last week, I added an identical hard disk to my desktop running Windows 10 and at first it displayed the drive in disk management. Then, I leave it and when I came back after two days, it was not there and only the original drive was there. Both of the drives are appearing in BIOS and device manager also, the SATA ports are enabled. The computer starts up in RAID On mode however, it has not been set up. I tried UHCI BIOS and ATA Boot modes yet, the system does not start in either of these modes. After navigating back to the disk manager for setting up the software raid, I only got the original OS disk. Can anybody tell me what this issue is and how to fix hard drive shows up in BIOS but not disk management Windows 10?”
Several computer users faced one common scenario that their external hard drive is connected to the computer and display in Device Manager. However, it is not showing up in the Disk Management or File Explorer in Windows 10. If you are one among such users and landed on this page while searching the solution for same then, relax.
It happens that hard drive shows in device manager but not disk management in Windows 10. So, in this guide, we have tried to roll up some actually working techniques that can fix external hard drive not showing up windows 10 issue quickly.
Techniques to Fix Hard Drive Is Not Showing In Disk Management Issue
If your external hard drive is not displaying in Windows Explorer or Disk Management then, below are some solutions to resolve this error:
A Word of Warning: These methods can erase or delete the existing data from the external hard drive. Hence, it is highly recommended to restore your data with the help of a powerful utility i.e., Hard Drive Data Recovery Tool. You can check the working efficiency of the utility by using the demo version. After that, you can purchase tool to recover permanently deleted files from external hard drive without any trouble.
Method One: Reinstall/ Update External Hard Drive Drivers
Follow the steps listed below to update the hard disk driver and fix the issue external disk not showing in disk management.
- First of all, connect your external hard drive to your computer, and navigate to Devices Manager Now, click Universal Serial Bus Controllers
- Hit a right-click on your external hard drive and select Uninstall >> Unplug the drive
- After this, plug the hard drive back in your computer and open Device Manager and choose Universal Serial Bus Controllers
- Now, select hard drive component to be updated
- Then, hit a right-click on the hard drive and select Update Driver Software option from the drop-down menu
- Go with on-screen instructions in Update Driver Software Wizard to update the external hard drive drivers
Method Two: Assign External Hard Drive A New Drive Letter to Fix Issue
If after updating hard disk driver the issue remains same. Then try the below mentioned steps to assigned new drive letter to resolve WD passport shows in device manager but not my computer issue.
- Press Windows + X keys and choose Disk Management option from the opened menu list
- Detect and hit a right-click on the external hard drive and choose Change Drive Letter then, Path…
- Click on Add if the drive does not have a letter or assign a new letter to this drive. Enter a new drive letter and click OK to apply the changes
Method Three: Create A New Volume On Hard Drive and Resolve Error
You can format and reset the file system on the external hard drive to NTFS. For this, follow the instructions mentioned below:
- Hit a right-click on Start and choose Disk Management
- Next, locate and detect your external hard drive
- Select the hard drive that is showing up in Device manager but not in disk management and hit a right-click on it. Choose Format Volume…
- Now, reset your file system from FAT/ RAW to NTFS. Hit the OK button to confirm and apply all done changes. After this, if your external hard drive displays unallocated space on Windows 10 then, you can create a new volume on the disk to make it useful for storing data again. Below is how to do this:
- Hit a right-click on the Start button and choose Disk Management
- Search and right-click on the unallocated space on external hard drive. Choose New Simple Volume…
- Recreate then set drive file system with a new drive letter to make it searchable by Disk Management in Windows 10
Connecting an external hard drive to Windows 10 is very simple. However, sometimes it might not display when connected to the computer or we can say the drive is not detected by Windows OS. Well, this is a common issue that can be resolved with the help of some technical tips. In this article, we have disclosed all the possible methods via which users can solve hard drive shows in device manager but not disk management Windows 10, 8, 7 issue quickly and seamlessly.