How to Upgrade SQL 2017 to 2019 Step by Step – Best Guide
Summary: In this blog, we are going to have a look at the most advanced solutions to upgrade SQL 2017 to 2019 version without any hassles. There are several challenges that users need to be aware of in order to get the desired results. Moreover, what matters is the knowledge of the right tool & technique here. The solution we are going to mention can also handle migration with damaged database SQL server as well.
By following the entire guide, users can get a manual & an automated solution to migrate SQL server 2017 to 2019 version. Users can make the decision of selecting any one method based on their advantages & drawbacks. I’m quite sure that this way users can easily get the perfect results as per their desires.
Reasons to Migrate Database from SQL Server 2017 to 2019 Version
Every user has certain reasons why they want to upgrade their SQL server. The primary reason is the server upgradation & the secondary reasons are company merger & brand acquisition.
Let’s understand the factors that users consider for upgrading their SQL database server:
- Speed & Performance
New versions of the SQL server often come with better speed & performance. Users want to provide the best service to their clients & thus they want to get the latest SQL server versions.
- Better Security
Security of one another major reason here. Cybercriminals are getting more advanced day by day. Therefore, it’s significant for users to keep their data files as much secure as they can.
- Features & Functions
There are better features & functions present in the latest versions of SQL servers. Hence, learning how to upgrade SQL 2017 to 2019 step by step is crucial to get the best functionalities for ease of work.
- Cost & Pricing
Dynamic pricing is introduced in the SQL server database. We can say that there are a lot of users who do not use all the capabilities of SQL servers. This is why now users only need to pay for what they are actually using.
Also Read: Migrate SQL Server 2014 to 2019 without Failure
Upgrade SQL Database from 2017 to 2019 Manually
If users want to upgrade SQL servers manually, there are a couple of things they need to be aware of. First of all, there is no direct manual method available for users. Users need to combine three different tasks together to call it a data migration. Otherwise, it’s the task of data repair, data backup & data export. Let’s dig deeper.
Task-1. Repair the Damaged Database Objects
The first task here for users is to simply repair the damaged objects. For this, they need to execute the DBCC CHECKDB command. There are three options for users like Repair_Rebuild, Repair_Fast, and Repair_Allow_Dataloss commands. This way users can repair the files before they upgrade SQL 2017 to 2019 version.
Task-2. Take A Full Backup of the Data Files
The second task for users here is to simply go for the full backup of the database. Once the database files are there without any sort of damage or corruption in them, users just need to take a full backup of them.
Task-3. Export Files to Desired SQL Server
The final task is to export these backed-up files to the desired SQL server whicj is the 2019 version. Therefore, users will get the files in the destination finally if nothing goes wrong.
Also Read: SQL Server 2012 to 2016 Upgrade Operation in Simple Steps
Critical Challenges to Face:
Either we call it challenges or drawbacks users gave to face it using the manual method:
- Lack of advanced features.
- Risk of complete data loss.
- Chances of data corruption.
- Knowledge of SQL scripts.
- Complex & confusing steps.
- Quite slow and inefficient.
The Best in Class Automated Solution for Users
Now, we are very well aware of the drawbacks present in the manual method. It’s time to opt for the automated solution to migrate SQL server 2017 to 2019 step by step. This solution is quite different from the manual one as here, things are much easier. First of all, we need to download the best-in-class SQL Server Migration Tool to begin.
This software is the first choice of experts as users don’t have to face any errors with this. Install the software & then follow the below-mentioned steps with their respective infographics.
Step-1. Launch the Software & Navigate to the Open button.
Step-2. Select the Online or Offline Mode of Migration now.
Step-3. Preview Data Files & Navigate to the Export options.
Step-4. Adjust the Settings & Set Destination Location path.
Step-5. Click on Export to upgrade SQL 2017 to 2019 version.
- Select the “Run as Administrator” option if you’re running the tool on your Windows OS 7, 8, 10(32 & 64 Bit), 11(64 Bit), or Windows server 2016, 2012, & 2008.
- Once you upgrade SQL database from 2017 to 2019 version, simply download the status report that shows the statistics for further analysis and R&D purposes.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or above is necessary for users to simply use this tool in a smart manner.
Upgrade SQL Database from 2017 to 2019 with These Features
Users can get several useful features if they opt for this advanced automated solution. We can say that not only the security but the ease of the work is a plus point of this automated solution.
The below-mentioned features of the automated solution can help users understand the importance of this automated utility. Moreover, it will allow users to utilize this tool to its maximum potential.
- This automated software has 4 modes for the migration of SQL servers as given:
- Migration of a live SQL server to another live SQL server.
- Migration of a live SQL server to SQL-compatible scripts.
- Offline MDF files migration to Live SQL database server.
- Offline MDF files migration to the SQL-compatible scripts.
- Users can migrate tables, triggers, stored procedures, indexes, etc data objects.
- Migrate database from SQL server 2017 to 2019 selectively using the latest filters.
- It’s possible for users to upgrade the server with schema or schema and data also.
- Either create a new database or migrate data to an existing database in the server.
- This advanced utility allows users to repair the damaged data before migrating them.
- SQL server 2019, 2017, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008, 2005, 2000 versions are supported.
The Final Verdict
After considering all the key aspects here, we can say that users can upgrade SQL 2017 to 2019 easily. The manual method is complex & we can’t do anything about that. Even after gathering all the technical knowledge, we still can not guarantee the results. Therefore, we say that it is uncertain.
On the other hand, the automated solution is way better than the manual. The simple reason for this is the involvement of AI technology and advanced algorithms. It makes it easy for users to migrate SQL server 2017 to 2019 without any hassles or errors. Hence, IT experts & Top Microsoft MVPs recommend this method to users.