SQL Server 2012 to 2016 Upgrade – Database Migration Made Easy
Summary: This blog is going to provide users with a detailed solution for SQL server 2012 to 2016 upgrade without any hassles. Dispute of all the complexities, technical errors, and other challenges, users can easily get the desired solution with adequate methods as well as knowledge of technicalities. In addition, the drawbacks & features of the methods are also mentioned here.
Now, we’re well aware of the objectives of this guide i.e, SQL server 2012 to 2016 migration. We must acknowledge that SQL server is without a doubt one of the best RDBMS. However, such migration tasks can be a little complicated in several cases. Other than that, SQL is the most trusted database management system for users around the world. Let’s start with addressing the challenges that users face.
SQL Server 2012 to 2016 Upgrade Issues That Users Face
Now, there are obstacles everywhere as nothing is totally perfect. Similarly, this migration or database upgradation task also has several challenges. Let’s have a look at them prior to starting with the solution.
Risk of Data Loss
There is a high risk present in this process of upgradation that can cause loss of data. Users should be aware of each& every step as their data is their most valuable asset & can’t be compromised at all.
This procedure is complex for sure as we know that multiple steps are present here with several sensitive areas to focus on. It’s difficult for users to follow the procedure as they aren’t aware of the best solution.
Lack of Technicalities
Without the right knowledge of SQL server technicalities, users can not get the perfect solution for their SQL server 2012 to 2016 migration task. When we move further, we can say that these technicalities are the key to avoiding all errors.
If not data loss, then for sure, corruption in database files is one of the reasons that trouble users. The incorrect execution of the operation can significantly result in the corruption of database files at a higher level.
Selection of Tool & Technique
Last but not the least, users must select the best tool & technique for their operation. There are both manual & automated solutions present, & users can select any of them based on the below-mentioned drawbacks & advantages of them.
Also Read: Migrate SQL Server 2014 to 2019 Version in a Smart Manner
Manual Ways for SQL Server 2012 to 2016 Migration
There is no manual method present for users to get the perfect solution without any difficulties. Well, there is no DIRECT manual method to be precise. But users can get their results by indirect methods.
Instead of Migrating the database, users need to undergo three processes i.e, Repair, Backup, & Export. Now, let’s talk about the operation in detail.
Repair Process: It’s difficult for users t migrate the database with damaged or corrupted database files in them. Therefore, it’s beneficial for users to repair the database files prior to the migration while opting for the manual method.
Backup Process: Once, all the files are healthy & free from corruption or any kind of damage, it’s time to level up. Users should take a full backup of their data files & save it locally on their system for the migration.
Export Process: Finally, users just need to export the backup file to the destination SQL server database to complete the SQL server 2012 to 2016 upgrade safely. Once, all the files are exported to the destination, the migration task is completed.
- There is a high possibility that users may get confused as there are three processes involved here & each has multiple steps.
- T-SQL queries are required for this & not all users are proficient in them to execute the operation this way.
- There is a high risk of data loss present in this method as one single mistake can wipe out all the data files.
- It’s a time taking method for users to get their results & isn’t efficient at all. Therefore, it’s not an expert’s recommendation.
- Data corruption possibilities are also there in this method for users which can be a huge trouble as every bit of data is crucial for business.
Automatically Perform the Operation Using Advanced Tools
After the complex manual method, it’s time for users to experience the automated solution. The automated solution involves an advanced SQL Server Migration Tool that can easily help users to get the perfect results for their database migration of SQL servers from version 2012 to 2016.
Download the advanced tool from the above link as it’s even recommended by experts to get the database migrated without any errors. Follow the five simple steps mentioned below for the SQL server 2012 to 2016 upgrade hassle-free:
Step-1. Launch the Tool & Go to the Open button to begin.
Step-2. Select the Online or Offline mode for the migration.
Step-3. Preview the Database Objects here & then proceed.
Step-4. Adjust preferred Settings & the Destination Server.
Step-5. Now, Click on the Export button to complete the task.
Also Read: How to Upgrade SQL 2017 to 2019 Step by Step With Ease
Significance of Automated SQL Server 2012 to 2016 Upgrade
There are several features present in the automated tool that makes this advanced tool worthy of compliments from experts & users across the globe. Let’s quickly get to know these features to understand the tool more & utilize it to the maximum potential.
- This advanced utility offers a total of four database migration modes that are divided into online & offline categories.
- Online Mode
- Live SQL Server to Live SQL Server
- Live SQL Server to the SQL Scripts
- Offline Mode
- Offline SQL MDF Files to Live SQL Server
- Offline SQL MDF Files to the SQL Scripts
- Users can migrate their Tables, Views, Functions, Stored Procedures, Triggers, & Rules, etc to the destination platform for sure.
- The SQL server 2012 to 2016 migration with the tool allows users to migrate schema or schema with data as well.
- It’s possible for users to migrate the data files to an existing database. In addition, users can create a new database in the destination database using the tool as well.
- The tool is proficient in repairing damaged or corrupted data files before beginning the database migration task.
- It supports the SQL server versions 2000, 2005, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, & 2019 with ease.
Bringing It All Together
Now, we all are well aware of the entire solution by which users can get the desired results in the least minimum time possible. The manual method is a bit risky but it might provide users with the result they are looking for in their SQL server 2012 to 2016 upgrade task. However, the automated solution guarantees the best results without any technical error for sure.
In a nutshell, we can say that users can easily get the perfect solution if they are wise enough to select the right tool & technique. therefore, without the right tool & technique, it’s going to be very difficult for users to get their desired results.