How to Fix “Unable to Open Outlook Attachment” Error
Sometimes a user is not able to access Outlook email attachments and encounters an error regarding can’t open the file. This error is caused due to many different reasons and can be solved by some manual and automated methods.
“Unable to Open Outlook Attachment” Error
MS Outlook is a leading Email Client application used by the users. This renowned application is used by organizations and business individuals as it manages different activities on a single platform. But it too has some defects, called as “Outlook errors”, which affects business activities and transactions. One of the defects faced by the user is “Unable to open Outlook Attachment” Error.
The Blog will cover all possible the solutions for this error additionally the reason or cause behind its occurrence.
To Begin with, let’s understand- What is the meaning of this error.
“Unable to Open Outlook Attachments” error refers to the disability of accessing files and folders attached to an email. Being an important part of an email, inaccessibility causes hindrance in work flow.
There are a number of reasons responsible for the cause of this error.
Cause of Error
Some most of the common and frequent reasons for unwanted “Unable to open Outlook Attachment” error message are:
- When the user attempts to open or view attachment of an email, whose Outlook PST file is already corrupted.
- The error message is shown when a user with limited access tries to open Temporary Internet file folder on the server.
- In the case of exceeding the file size of sub-folder storing the copies of Temporary Internet files, Unable to Open Outlook Attachment Error is shown.
- When a user opens the same file continuously, then the temporary folder will stock up with its temporary file. And at some point, the files with the same name are denied to be stored in temporary internet folder. This causes user the inaccessibility of attachments.
- An attachment with a possibility of damaging the Outlook database is denied from opening due to security protocols. Thus, showing a message of inaccessibility to the user.
Pro Tool Tip – If you’re Unable to Open Outlook Attachment then, it is recommended to extract attachments from Outlook and access them in other supported email clients.
Possible Solution for the Error
Various solutions available for Unable to Open Outlook Attachment Error.
Method 1: When the error is caused by Temporary Internet Folder.
Refer to the following procedure for the solution.
Step 1: From Run command, open REGEDIT.EXE.
Step 2: Click on “Edit Button” followed by “Find” option and type “OutlookSecureTempFolder”.
Step 3: Find the actual folder location like:
Step 4: Now at “Run” command, type the file location and click on “OK”.
Step 5: The Folder will automatically open and delete all the files stored in it.
Step 6: Restart the Browser and open the attachment file in Outlook.
Method 2: When the Error is caused due to Security Protocols.
In this case, the Security Protocols needs to be edited in the Outlook registry.
The following procedure is used for Windows 10 OS.
Step 1: Open “Run” command and type “REGEDIT.EXE”.
Step 2: Enter Administration password if required.
Step 3: Trace the Registry key that you want to edit.
Step 4: Then, select the “Export” Option From “File” Button.
Step 5: In the export Registry box, type the location where you want to store the backup file and then click on Ok.
Unable to Open Outlook Attachment Error and get rid of this hindrance. Otherwise, if you want an additional and direct help, try using PCVITA Outlook Recovery Tool. This tool will repair any problem related to Outlook PST file i.e either corruption of files or File size issues.
If you are facing an unable to open Outlook attachments error, then this blog is very helpful for you. Because here in this blog, we have discussed the best possible solution to fix the issue. In addition we have also discussed the best two alternative methods to get rid out of this issue.