Know How to Import MBOX Files to Outlook Using a Hassle-Free Solution
“Hi. I am the global admin of the company. Previously, we were using Mozilla Thunderbird for our company. Then, due to some issues, we decided to switch from Thunderbird to Microsoft Outlook. But, the main issue is we have some important data and we cannot lose it at any cost. We are kind of stuck at this point. Please, could you suggest me any method to import MBOX files to Outlook 2016, 2019? Any lead or help will be greatly appreciated.”
“I am a forensic investigator. I received an MBOX file as an evidence. I have to prepare a report till tomorrow morning. But, the problem is I use Outlook and this file cannot be opened here. Is there a way to import these files to Outlook. Thanks in advance.”
To transfer and open MBOX files in Outlook is not as daunting as it looks. The problem is well answered in the write-up. All a user needs to do is to keep up till the end of the post. So, go ahead.
MBOX file is a popular mailbox file created in many email clients like Thunderbird, PocoMail, Sea Monkey, Eudora, etc. It is used for storing email data. Apple Mail is used on Mac OS X 10.0 or other later versions. It also uses an MBOX file for storing mailboxes.
Can I Open MBOX Files in Outlook 2013 and 2010?
The limitation of the MBOX file is that Microsoft Outlook cannot identify this file format. So, it clearly implies that there is no direct method to import the mail from these files to Outlook. This is why professionals recommend using an expert tool like MBOX to PST Converter to convert MBOX files to PST without any hassle. By using this tool, conversion can be achieved without any problem.
However, there is also an option to go for the manual methods. Let’s go through the simple steps of the tool first and then find out about the manual methods available.
Step-Wise Guide to Import MBOX Files to Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010
The simple steps which a user has to follow to convert the files are:
- Download and Install the application. Click on Add File to insert the files in the software.
- Choose the email client from an entire list which is already present in the local system. Choose the file(s)/folder manually or mark the Default profile configured option.
- Click on the Export button and choose the PST format as the Export format. Apply the Split PST option to divide large files after opening MBOX files in Outlook 2010 or higher versions.
- Hit the Change button to set the destination location for the end results that you receive.
- Press the Export button to commence the procedure.
You are given the option to generate an export report so that you can check all the details for the process.
In this way, users can easily migrate their files to any version of Outlook.
For those who want to know the manual way as well, take a stroll to the next section and find out the methods that can be performed for free.
Manual Method to Import MBOX to Outlook 2019
There are many solutions to migrate the data from an MBOX file but not all of them are useful. Here, the manual way shown requires you to download Outlook Express and Eudora on your system.
For user’s ease, we are explaining the file transfer for Apple Mail. There are 4 steps of this method which you need to follow carefully in order to make no changes with the content.
Follow the steps mentioned in the upcoming sections to learn how to open MBOX files into Outlook.
Remember: These steps take up a lot of time because first you have to save the data locally, export it to Eudora, then to Outlook Express and then move the files to Outlook.
Step 1 – Exporting Mailbox Data Via Apple Mail
- Open Apple Mail and log in to your account.
- Select the mailbox you need to convert and click on the Mailbox option.
- Choose the Export Mailbox button.
- Pick the location for your files and hit the Save button.
Once you have your MBOX files, you have to import these files to Eudora application.
Step 2 – Importing MBOX to Outlook by Exporting Data to Eudora
- Navigate to the location of the files and rename the files to .mbx.
- Go to the default location of Eudora i.e. C:\Documents and Settings\ Application Data\Qualcomm\Eudora and save the file there.
- Open Eudora and open the .mbx file by double-clicking on it.
- Exit Eudora.
Step 3 – Transferring These Files to Outlook Express
- Launch the Outlook Express application and click on the File tab.
- Choose the Import option from the list and click on the Message button to open MBOX files in Outlook 2016.
- Pick Eudora from the given list and hit the Next button.
- Browse the saved files and select the OK button >> Next >> Next >> Finish.
Step 4 – Importing Files to Outlook Via the Import/Export Feature
- Launch Outlook and click on the File menu.
- Select Open & Export from the list and choose the Import/Export button.
- Click on the Import Internet Mail and Address option and hit Next.
- Press the Outlook Express option and ensure that Import Mail option is marked.
- Tap on Next & hit Finish.
The methods to import MBOX files to Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010 are explained here in detail for all the users who want an expert or a free solution. You can see that the manual method, even though it is free, has a lot of steps and requires you to download other email clients.
In order to switch from one email application to another, file formats have to be converted. A similar thing is noticed in the case when users want to import the files to Outlook 2016, 2019 and other versions. For this, a professional method has been explained in a detailed manner to easily move emails in an effective way.