Import G Suite Email to Outlook with Simple Methods
Cloud has taken over the task of data storage and is now establishing itself in running applications over the internet. Platforms such as G Suite and Office 365 have played a major role in working over the cloud. Users can manage their emails, contacts, etc. and even work with documents over the cloud. But sometimes, it is necessary to work offline as well. As a result, some users wish to access their emails in desktop email applications.
Today our focus is on G Suite and how user can import G Suite email to Outlook application. MS Outlook is the most popular desktop email client and is available both as standalone and as a part of Office 365 suite. Read other article for G Suite to Office 365 email migration and continue reading this one for importing emails from G Suite to Outlook.
Techniques to Import G Suite Email to Outlook
There are 3 techniques to complete this process:
- Configure G Suite account to Outlook
- Use TakeOut Service
- Professional Backup Tool
Let’s see the working steps of each of these methods in detail.
I. Configure G Suite Account in Outlook
After adding G Suite account to Outlook, users can access G Suite emails in Outlook at any time. It synchronizes the data between the two applications and lets you work with your emails on your local system.
Tip: Before starting make sure that ‘Enable less secure app’ is marked in G Suite mail authentication menu. You can also generate and use password for Outlook to overcome configuration failure (if it happens).
Here’s how it works:
- Run MS Outlook on your system, and hit the Tools menu.
- Select Account Settings and click New in the Mail tab.
- Choose an email service by selecting IMAP and click Next.
- Input your G Suite credentials: name, email address (format: email@example.com), password
- Check the box associated with ‘Manually configure server settings or other types of servers’ and click Internet E-mail.
- Now, go to Setttings and input your name, email address.
- Go to Account Type section and select IMAP, and enter the following:
- Incoming Mail server: imap.gmail.com
- Outgoing mail server: smtp.gmail.com
- Enter the full G Suite email address in the username field and click Next.
- Now, click Tools, select Options and click Mail Settings.
- Choose Internet e-mail account and click on the email account.
- Once you select the G Suite account, choose Edit option.
- Hit the More Settings button, click on Advanced tab and enter following details:
- Incoming server – 993 with SSL encryption
- Outgoing server – 587 with TLS encryption
- Now, click on Outgoing server tab and choose My Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication + use the same settings as my incoming mail server.
- Then click Ok, Next, End, Close, OK in that order.
The configuration process is complete. It will import G Suite email to Outlook and allow you to work with the emails in a seamless manner.
II. Use Takeout Service
Many users use the Google takeout service for importing G Suite emails to Outlook. However, we don’t recommend it very much. Because this service provides your emails in MBOX format. And Outlook cannot read MBOX files. Therefore, you will need another application such as Thunderbird to act as a mediator.
For fairness, we have listed all the instructions below:
- Log in to G Suite account.
- Click My Account and select Personal Information and Security.
- Click Create Archive to open Google takeout application.
- Once you open Takeout, select the data items that you want to import from G Suite to Outlook (i.e. Mails) and click Next.
- Now, choose the ZIP format to save the file and set maximum archive size as per preference.
- Make sure to select ‘Send the download link via email’ and click Create Archive.
- Google will start archiving your data. Once its complete, you will receive an email with the download lnk.
- Download the archive and extract the ZIP file on your computer.
You will get MBOX files that contains all the G Suite emails. Now, you have two options: Either use MBOX to PST converter and convert the files into PST (Outlook file format), or use Thunderbird as a mediator. If you choose the hassle approach i.e., Thunderbird, then do the following:
- Open Thunderbird.
- Install ImportExportTools NG add-on in Thunderbird and use it to import the MBOX files in Thunderbird.
- Now, choose all the imported G Suite emails, right-click and choose Save as.
- Save the emails to your computer and close Thunderbird.
- Then, open Outlook and drag and drop the saved files in Outlook.
- Finally, you can access the G Suite emails in Outlook.
It is clear from the steps that this is a very complex method if performed in its entirety.
So yeah, we will recommend the next approach as it directly saves your G Suite email to Outlook PST format and thus, saves all the hassle that comes with the previous two methods.
III. Professional Backup Tool to Import G Suite Email to Outlook
Arguably the best solution to export G Suite mailbox to PST, the professional tools are popular among G Suite users. Simply use G Suite Backup Tool and easily import G Suite email to Outlook in a hassle-free manner.
This solution processes G Suite emails and creates UNICODE PST files. You can import these files in Outlook directly. This method works for Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 & 2003. Furthermore, you can also batch process multiple G Suite user accounts at once, and even move the contacts and calendars along with emails to Outlook.
Other advanced options include filters for emails, categories, folder filters, delete after download option, and multiple export formats. You can download and use the free demo version of this software to ensure that it satisfies your requirements.
The steps to import G Suite email to Outlook using tool are:
- Run the professional tool and click backup button.
- Choose Single or Domain account as per preference. Single account will only import email from a single G Suite account to Outlook, while Domain users will import emails from multiple user accounts at once.
- Choose the PST file format and ensure that Emails is selected in the category section.
- Apply settings such as filters as per requirements.
- Choose the location to save the file and click Start to start the process.
Once the process completes, you will have the Outlook data files. Now, you will need to import them in Outlook:
- Open MS Outlook.
- Go to File menu and click Open & Export option.
- Choose Import & Export option and click Import from another file or program.
- Select Outlook data file and proceed to the next window.
- Browse the select the Outlook PST file obtained via professional tool.
- Choose other preferred options and finally click Finish to finish the import process.
This is how you can easily import G Suite email to Outlook. The whole process is easy to understand and implement. There are no hassles unlike the previous two methods. Also, you have the freedom to import emails from a single account or multiple G Suite accounts into Outlook at once. It is clear that this professional method is more impactful and easier than the other methods. But in the end, it’s your decision to choose the method as per your liking. We have covered all the popular techniques and now it’s time for you to make it your own.