How to Backup Exchange Online Mailboxes to PST? Ingenious Ways
Exchange Online is the most preferable cloud-based emailing service across the globe. However, with rapidly rising online hacking, users do not feel very much secure. That’s why, they need to backup Exchange Online Mailboxes to PST to maintain a local copy of their important user’s data saved on the cloud, i.e., Exchange Online account. It also helps in data loss disasters too. Therefore, this article describes a roadmap to export the data on the local platform. Here, we’ll focus on the core queries related to the Office 365 Exchange Online backup.
1. How to the backup entire mailbox from Exchange Online?
2. How to export Exchange Online mailbox to PC Via. eDiscovery?
3. How do I backup Exchange Online mailbox Using PowerShell?
So, let’s begin!
5 Steps to Backup Exchange Online Mailboxes to PST
- Step 1. Install & Launch Tool
- Step 2. Select Required Workload
- Step 3. Login with Office 365 Account
- Step 4. Define Destination Location
- Step 5. Click on Start Backup
Now, Look Forward In Write-Up
This comprehensive guide describes the following topics
Full Guide to Backup Exchange Online Mailboxes to PST
Method #1: Export O365 Exchange Mailbox to PC Via. Ideal Solution
>As a quick and safe approach, users can opt for Office 365 Backup and Restore utility to export and backup Office 365 mailboxes automatically. Designed specifically for Office 365 Enterprise E1 / E3 / E5, Exchange Online Plan 1 & Plan 2, Office 365 Business Premium, Office 365 A1/ A3/ A5, Office 365 F1, Office 365 Business Essentials. This tool offers every functionality that you need to export the mailbox to PST file format. Along with the backup process, it offers a restore feature too. So, if you want to recover the backup file of Exchange Online that was saved in PST format, then it can be easily done using the software.
Steps to Backup Exchange Online Mailboxes to PST
Step 1. Download install, run the tool on your computer and choose Office 365 and Outlook as the source and the destination platforms.
Step 2. Mark all the required mailbox items like email, contact, calendar, and documents for backup from workload selection.
Step 3. Use admin credentials such as admin ID and application ID and log in to the portal and validate permissions by clicking the validate button.
Step 4. Locate the path and destination for saving the resultant backup PST file on your local computer.
Step 5. Select the desired Office 365 user account from the list and hit the start backup button..
Method #2: Export Exchange Online mailbox to PST using PowerShell
Here, we are going to discuss a manual approach by which users can backup Exchange Online mailboxes to PST format. Go through the below instructions for the same.
Step 1: Establish connection with Exchange Server via PowerShell
- First of all, run the following command:
Now, in the Windows PowerShell Credential Request box, you should enter Exchange Online admin account credentials. Thus, you need to enter the username and password of firstname.lastname@example.org in the given window.
- After that, you have to run the command displayed below:
- Then, execute the command given below
Step 2: Provide Full Access Right to Mailbox using PowerShell
In this scenario, email@example.com will get complete access to firstname.lastname@example.org mailbox. For the same, you need to run the following command:
Step 3: Start Outlook with A Newly Created Account
After this, now you will open MS Outlook using a new account, i.e., email@example.com. Well, make sure that the firstname.lastname@example.org mailbox is available in the left pane of the MS Outlook mailbox. Keep in mind that all permissions will take a few seconds in order to be applicable.
Step 4: Check the Configuration Settings of MS Outlook
In step 4 of performing the task to backup Exchange Online mailboxes to PST, be sure that the Outlook application is set to get configured and download all emails, follow these steps:
- Go to the File option, click Info, and then, the Account Settings option
- After that, select Account Settings and choose the specific account
- Click the Change button and check whether the option ‘Use Cached Exchange Mode’ is selected or not.
Step 5: Use Import and Export Wizard to Completely Backup Exchange Online Mailboxes to PST
- In order to export email@example.com mailbox to PST format, select File and then the Open & Export option. Choose Import/ Export option
- Next, choose Export to a file from the given list option and press Next
- Now, select the Outlook Data file (PST) option and click the Next button
Afterward choose the desired mailbox, i.e., firstname.lastname@example.org from the folder list.
- Click the Next button and then, check to Include Subfolders option
- Provide a new name to a particular file and storage path where you can save the PST file i.e., c:\tmp\outlook-archive- ajay@cloudsystool -20160209.pst
- Select the desired option from the Options section and click the Finish button to complete the export process
- If needed, then you need to enter a password for the Outlook file. Else, leave it blank if it is not against policy and press the OK button to complete the task to backup Exchange Online mailboxes to PST.
Note: Outlook will not work till the migration procedure is going on.
Step 6: Check Export PST from Exchange Online 365 via PowerShell
Make sure the migration process is done properly; you have to check the mailbox size on the Server and compare it with the size of the resultant PST file. For this, follow the steps given below:
- Right-click on the desired mailbox and choose the Data file properties option
- Then, go to the General tab and select the Folder Size
- Next, move to the Server Data tab and mark down the Total Size
- Navigate to properties of Output PST file and verify if the size of exported PST matches with a given value of Outlook or not.
Step 7: Remove Assigned Permissions in the Above Steps
Here, delete all permissions already assigned to the above steps using PowerShell. To do the this, run the following commands:
Step 8: Terminate PowerShell Session
Once you have converted Exchange Online mailboxes to PST files successfully, you can exit the PowerShell session. For the same, run the command given below:
After executing the PowerShell command to export o365 mailbox to PST, users will get a PST file that contains emails, calendars, contacts, and attachments.
Method #3: Exchange Online Export Mailbox to PST – eDiscovery PST Export Tool
It is the second manual workaround to backup Exchange Online mailbox to PST, via the eDiscovery PST export tool. Here are the following steps as listed below:
Backup Exchange Online mailboxes to PST
1. Log in to Microsoft Office 365 service and go to the Exchange Online Admin center to perform data conversion.
2. Expand the Admin Center and select an option Security & Compliance
3. Click on Permission, choose + icon in Security & Compliance Center. Now, you need to edit the role group of the eDiscovery Manager
4. Next, click on the + icon in order to add an account to the eDiscovery Administrator list. Now, click the Save button and then continue.
5. Then, go to Search & Investigation center and click on the + icon. Select new Content Search Wizard. Fill your name inside the Name field, click Next and proceed further.
6. If you wish to bulk (all data) export mailbox data from Exchange Online, then simply choose the Search everywhere and Exchange option.
To migrate only selective data, choose Custom location selection and click + icon.
If you need to transfer data from Public folders, select the Search all public folders option.
7. In case of selective migration from Exchange Online mailbox, use different filtering options including logical operators, i.e., AND, OR, NOT, etc., with any keyword or phrases. Now, click the Search option in order to start the search process
8. Once the search process is done successfully, click the Start Export button
9. But, if you want, then you can also add encrypted files. When everything is prepared, go to the Start export button
Note: It is advised to choose the default option and export Exchange Online 365 data to PST using the eDiscovery tool. An individual PST file is created for each selected mailbox.
10. The export process is started. Here, it depends on your choice that either chooses Finish or Download exported results button. If you select the Download exported results option, afterward downloading process and export tools are finished at the same time
11: Now, the export key is generated you need to copy it before going forward
12: Finally, the eDiscovery PST export tool will start the entire process. Now, paste the export key that you have copied in the above step. Choose the desired location to save the exported Office 365 mailbox data in PST format.
Data migration from cloud-based services is not as easy as it looks. Same case with Exchange Online or Office 365 mailbox data. Many times users are finding how to backup Exchange Online mailbox to PST using PowerShell. After understanding the user’s demand, all manual tricks to perform data backup are mentioned here. Else, users can go for an instant solution named as Office 365 Backup tool that makes it easy to save Office 365 mailboxes to PST files. So, users can choose between them wisely and perform the task accordingly.