Exchange Online is the most preferable cloud-based emailing service across the globe. However, with rapidly rising online hacking, users do not feel very much secure. That’s why, they need to backup Exchange Online Mailboxes to PST to maintain a local copy of their important users data saved on the cloud, i.e., Exchange Online account. It also helps in data loss disaster too. Therefore, this article describes a roadmap to export the data on the local platform. Here, we’ll focus on the core queries related to the Office 365 Exchange Online backup.
1. How to backup entire mailbox from Exchange Online?
2. How to export Exchange Online mailbox to PC Via. eDiscovery?
3. How do I backup Exchange Online mailbox Using PowerShell?
So, let’s begin!
Now, Look Forward In Write-Up
This comprehensive guide describes the following topics
>As a quick and safe approach, users can opt for Office 365 Backup and Restore utility to export and backup Office 365 mailboxes automatically. Designed specifically for Office 365 Enterprise E1 / E3 / E5, Exchange Online Plan 1 & Plan 2, Office 365 Business Premium, Office 365 A1/ A3/ A5, Office 365 F1, Office 365 Business Essentials. This tool offers every functionality that you need to export the mailbox to PST file format. Along with backup process, it offers restore feature too. So, if you want to recover the backup file of Exchange Online that saved in PST format, then it can be easily done using the software.
Step 1 – Download install, and run the tool on your computer and choose Office 365 and Outlook as the source and the destination platforms.
Step 2 – Mark all the required mailbox items like email, contact, calendar, and documents for backup from workload selection.
Step 3 – Use admin credentials such as admin ID and application ID and log in to the portal and validate permissions by clicking the validate button.
Step 4 – Locate the path and destination for saving the resultant backup PST file on your local computer.
Step 5 – Select the desired Office 365 user account from the list and hit the start backup button..
Here, we are going to discuss manual approach by which users can backup Exchange Online mailboxes to PST format. Go through the below instructions for the same.
Now, in Windows PowerShell Credential Request box, you should enter Exchange Online admin account credentials. Thus, you need to enter the username and password of email@example.com in the given window.
At this scenario, firstname.lastname@example.org will get complete access to email@example.com mailbox. For the same, you need to run following command:
After this, now you will open MS Outlook using new account, i.e., firstname.lastname@example.org. Well, make sure that email@example.com mailbox is available in left pane of MS Outlook mailbox. Keep in mind that all permissions will take a few seconds in order to be applicable.
In the step 4 of performing the task to backup Exchange Online mailboxes to PST, be sure that Outlook application is set to get configured and download all emails, follow these steps:
Afterwards choose the desired mailbox, i.e., firstname.lastname@example.org from the folder list.
Note: Outlook will not work till the migration procedure is going on.
Make sure the migration process is done properly; you have to check mailbox size on Server and compare it with size of resultant PST file. For this, follow the steps given below:
Here, delete all permissions already assigned to above steps using PowerShell. To do the this, run the following commands:
Once you have converted Exchange Online mailboxes to PST file successfully, you can exit the PowerShell session. For the same, run the command given below:
After executing PowerShell command to export o365 mailbox to PST, users will get PST file that contains emails, calendar, contacts and attachments.
It is the second manual workaround to backup Exchange Online mailbox to PST, is via eDiscovery PST export tool. Here are following steps as listed below:
1.Log in to Microsoft Office 365 service and go to Exchange Online Admin center to perform data conversion.
2. Expand the Admin Center and select an option Security & Compliance
3. Click on Permission, choose + icon in Security & Compliance center. Now, you need to edit role group of eDiscovery Manager
4. Next, click on + icon in order to add account in eDiscovery Administrator list. Now, click Save button and then continue.
5. Then, go to Search & Investigation center and click on + icon. Select new Content Search Wizard. Fill name inside the Name field, click Next and proceed further.
6. If you wish to bulk (all data) export mailbox data from Exchange Online, then simply choose Search everywhere and Exchange option.
To migrate only selective data, choose Custom location selection and click + icon.
If you need to transfer data from Public folders, select Search all public folders option.
7. In case of selective migration from Exchange Online mailbox, use different filtering options including logical operators, i.e., AND, OR, NOT, etc., with any keyword or phrases. Now, click Search option in order to start the search process
8. Once the search process is done successfully, click Start Export button
9. But, if you want, then you can also add encrypted files. When everything is prepared, go to Start export button
Note: It is advised to choose default option and export Exchange Online 365 data to PST using eDiscovery tool. An individual PST file is created for each selected mailbox.
10. The export process is started. Here, it depends on your choice that either choose Finish or Download exported results button. If you select Download exported results option, afterward downloading process and export tools is finished at the same time
11: Now, the export key is generated you need to copy before going forward
12: Finally, eDiscovery PST export tool will start the entire process. Now, paste the export key that you have copied in above step. Choose the desired location to save the exported Office 365 mailbox data in PST format.
Data migration from cloud-based service is not as easy as it looks. Same case with Exchange Online or Office 365 mailbox data. Many times users are finding how to backup Exchange Online mailbox to PST using PowerShell. After understanding the user’s demand, all manual tricks to perform data backup are mentioned here. Else, users can go for an instant solution named as Office 365 Backup tool that make it easy to save Office 365 mailboxes to PST file. So, users can choose between them wisely and perform the task accordingly.