Does PST File Contain Attachments? – Comprehensive Guide
Users who want to know the answer to the query “does PST file contain attachments?”, have been searching for it since long. We have come across a few of these queries and decided why not explain the situation with the correct answers and solutions to the users.
This is what the blog consists of. You will find the answer to the query asked above, a user query for a better view on the situation, and all the correct answers to every question asked.
Let’s check out the user query first.
User Query – I have been using Outlook since 2007 and there is this huge PST file which is of around 4 gig. I have archived the data and am also compacting which should do the work there is still something that I don’t know. Does PST file save attachments from the emails? I always save my attachments outside of Outlook but have no clue if these are still in the PST file. How can I save the email body but delete the attachments? Please help!
In the upcoming sections of the blog, you will find the answer to the query for the attachments location followed by the best answers to the user query.
Jumping to the important aspect of this write-up.
Answered Query – Does PST File Contain Attachments?
The answer to the questions is a simple yes. The attachments are, in fact, stored in Outlook items folder. Not only the emails are stored, but the contacts, calendars, tasks, etc. are saved in Outlook. Although, this makes the process to backup simple since there is only one file that you need to export, this also makes the PST file relatively huge. That especially happens when the files from PowerPoint are sent via emails. There is a list of folders that are contained in Outlook which are:
- Sent items,
- Deleted Items,
- Junk Emails,
- Search Folders,
- Calendars, etc.
Now, there are users who want to extract the attachments from their emails. Let’s find out how that can happen.
How to Extract Attachments from the Emails in Outlook?
As discussed above, users have the correct answer to the query: does PST file save attachments? Here, we will be giving the perfect solution for users to be able to extract attachments from Outlook emails.
The required can be done with the help of the Outlook Attachment Extractor Software which allows the users to extract the required attachments from email messages. There are options to extract attachments from the Deleted Items and Junk Folders. Also, learn how to extract the attachments in batch mode without any failure.
Note: If you want to make the PST file smaller in size, you can use the Compact PST Software which will extracts and save the attachments in PST file compressing the size.
How Does the Tool Help in Extracting the Attachments?
After learning the answer to does PST file contain attachments, you can finally extract them using the tool. There are a few steps that you will have to follow to extract the attachments.
1. Download the software and mark the Auto-Locate Outlook Default Storage
2. After selecting the Auto-Locate option you will be able to view your PST file
3. Mark the check box beside Maintain Folder Hierarchy option and hit Next.
4. Choose the destination location for the resultant data by clicking on the Change button. Select Make New Folder if required and hit OK.
5. After, selecting the destination location choose the Select Filter.
5. Final step is to hit the Extract button to complete the extraction procedure.
These are the steps you need to follow for extraction. You have the answer to the query does PST file save attachments and how to extract them.
Now, let’s learn a bit about what the tool has to offer to us.
What Are the Features Offered by the Application?
The tool to extract the attachments allows the users to extract the attachments selectively by apply various filters such as the Date Filter. This filter gives users the option to extract the files only from a certain period of time. You just have to enter the From and To dates and the software will do the work for you.
Many more features offered by this wizard are:
- Multiple options to maintain the original structure of the folder
- Option for Naming Convention for attachments and the folders for attachments
- The failure and success report of the extraction procedure is generated in CSV file
- No Restriction on File Size: supports both ANSI and UNICODE files
- It is important to have MS Outlook installed on your desktop
- Compatible with Windows 10 (32/64 bit) and lower versions
- Support extraction in all MS Outlook versions i.e. Outlook 2016 and below versions (32/64 bit)
Read More Outlook Attachment Queries
The query “does PST file contain attachments” has been answered in the correct way and all the other things included are also mentioned. Find the answer to the user query as well as the highly recommended methods for extraction. There are two solutions discussed in the write-up, you can go for any one of these and understand their working as both are pretty easy to understand.