Learn to Migrate Mail from cPanel to Office 365 Step by Step
Account migration is a major concern in cPanel nowadays. Migrating from server to server is very easy and most of us are used to doing it because it is automatic. But to restore and migrate mail from cPanel to Office 365 / Microsoft 365 is a bit tricky.
Let’s look at real-time user queries to understand why users want to perform the migration process.
User Question- I am having a bad experience as the organization I work for has a huge amount of data stored on cPanel webmail and some of my data is going missing. So, I was looking for a solution and found a manual method but it didn’t help me much. Is there any other method that can help me with cPanel to Office 365 migration? If yes, please mention the same so that I can perform the process with complete data security.
We have come across a lot of users just like the one above. Hence, in this blog, we will discuss the best possible ways to transfer email data.
Table of Content
Why Migrate Mail from cPanel to Office 365 / Microsoft 365?
However, there are various reasons that affect the users from cPanel to O365 migration, these are-
- Popularity is the main reason behind choosing Microsoft Office 365. According to most users, O365 is a reliable platform as it comes with Microsoft suites.
- In addition, Microsoft 365 provides security and threat protection benefits to its users, but the cPanel service does not include these options.
- A user also goes for the cPanel to Office 365 migration because he gets various apps like Word, Excel, SharePoint, Access, Outlook 365, and more in the O365 suite. Whereas, cPanel webmail only provides services for receiving and sending emails.
- Also, one can store their files and documents on Microsoft cloud, but there is no such facility on cPanel webmail.
- Additionally, users get the benefit of automatic updates to Office 365 apps but not on cPanel webmail.
- Furthermore, O365 is also accessible at any time and from any place which comes with a simple and seamless integration.
How to Manually Migrate cPanel Email to Office 365?
When it comes to moving email to O365, the easiest way is to use webmail. Currently, cPanel-based servers offer three different webmail interfaces [Horde, Squirrel Mail, and Roundcube] for viewing and managing email accounts.
This method will focus on how to migrate email off your server using the Horde webmail interface. However, while email exporting is supported by RoundCube, it only allows you to export one email at a time. This can be downright inconvenient for most users. Although Horde allows you to move entire folders, this thing can get into high speeds when exporting in bulk.
This process to migrate mail from cPanel to Office 365 is divided into two parts:
- Take Out Emails from cPanel to your Computer
- Import Exported Emails to Microsoft 365
Step 1: Save Emails from cPanel to your Computer
The procedure to migrate email from cPanel to Office 365/ Microsoft 365 is-
1. For the migration, first, go to cPanel login screen and sign in with your details of a particular account.
2. Navigate to the “Email Accounts” option from the multiple options and then tap on it.
3. In this step, just find the email account whose data you want to transfer to Microsoft Office 365 and click on “Check Email” option.
4. After this, tap on the “Horde” icon and then, hit the “Open” button for the migration.
5. From the interface, right click on the “Mail” drop-down option and then right-click on the any folder you want to transfer and select the Export option.
6. Following this, choose the “Download into a MBOX format” option from the drop-down list and click on “OK” button. By doing so, you will get a zip file and when you extract the document from it, you get a MBOX file, however, it is not supported by O365.
Step 2: Transfer Exported Emails to Microsoft Office 365
Now we have successfully exported all emails from cPanel webmail mailbox. So, now you will have to import the resultant file to O365. However, there is no manual procedure to directly import MBOX files. Therefore, the only solution in your hands is to use MBOX to Office 365 Migration tool.
This tool can easily migrate mail from cPanel to Office 365 from the exported file by following the below instructions:-
- Firstly, mouse-click on Select File & Folder options and browse MBOX file from the desktop.
- In the next screen, the Office 365 option will be selected automatically.
- Then, you will need to enter Office 365 Admin or User account credentials to login to transfer emails. Wait for the validation of the account in the software panel.
- After this, if required, you can apply the Date Filter just to migrate a few emails.
- In the final step, click on the Export button and migrate cPanel email to Office 365/Microsoft 365 account. However, you can even using this tool to migrate Entourage to Office 365.
Direct Solution for cPanel to Office 365 Migration
The above method may be quite tricky for most users as it consists a multiple steps to perform the migration. Therefore, to prevent any data loss or going for a long procedure, we suggest you to choose the professional software. So, using the Direct IMAP to Office 365 Migration Tool you can simply migrate cPanel email to Office 365 / Microsoft 365.
Moreover, it provides a complete data security during the migration process. So, you get all emails migrated into Microsoft 365 account with same folder hierarchy and email properties. As it never hampers the existing data during migration. Now, let’s know how this tool works.
Steps to Migrate Mail from cPanel to Office 365 Via Tool
Download and Launch the tool to migrate emails from the mailbox by following the below mentioned steps:
- In the setup section, select IMAP as the Source Platform and for Destination platform as Office 365 option from the tool’s interface.
- After this, from below, check the Email option & Apply the Date Filter for Selective emails migration as required, tap Next.
- Then, choose Other option, enter Source information as in cPanel user details, validate all the required permissions to move further.
- For the destination accounts, provide Microsoft 365 user credentials >> Validate all the required Permissions & then tap on the next step.
- Here, you can Add Users with the use of two available options that is Import & Download Template in the Users section. You can even skip this step if you are not going for a bulk migration.
- In this steps, you will need to provide the Source App Password & then Validate User Permissions to migrate multiple accounts in one go.
- Finally, mouse-click on the Start Migration button, the tool will begin the migrating all emails of the provided user account details. At last, you can save a report of the entire migration process as in detailed or summary report for future reference.
Read More: How to Migrate cPanel Email to Outlook?
This blog is for the users who need to migrate mail from cPanel to Office 365. In this guide, we have shared the possible process to migrate cPanel email to Office 365 / Microsoft 365 without data modification. Here, to reduce the pain of the users, we have discussed both manual and automated methods. So, using any of the above methods, you can later access all the emails in the O365 account. However, we suggest you to choose the tool because of its direct nature and its features. Furthermore, it comes with a free demo version to keep the method short and simple.
Read More: Quick Way to Import Thunderbird to Office 365 / Microsoft 365?
Q- What are the requirements for this cPanel to Office 365 migration?
You must have proper credentials of both accounts, and you must assign the license to the Office 365 users while using the tool.
Q- How long does it take to migrate to emails to Microsoft 365?
Generally, it takes about five days to complete an the process to migrate cPanel email to Office 365 account. However, if you need go for the batch migration then use the tool that provides migration of multiple accounts.
Q- What are the benefits of moving to Microsoft Office 365?
The main reason for transferring the data to O365 is that the user business remains secure. As it provides a complete data security features including: Up to date antivirus signatures. Moreover, here, users even get the email protection from malware with anti-spam filtering.