How to Save Emails from Lotus Notes to Hard Drive – Proven Ways
Summary: Numerous users across the globe are searching for techniques on how to save email from Lotus Notes to hard drive. This blog deals with the proven solution for this demanding query. Let’s have a look at the tactics mentioned here in detail.
Due to the increasing technological advancement, users can access their emails in offline or online mode. In the case of HCL Notes, formerly IBM Notes and Lotus Notes, one can easily access the data without any hindrances. Due to its multiple features, IBM Notes is the most popular email program for business.
However, the database files of Lotus Notes are limited by storage size. If the mailbox size exceeds its limit, then users may not be able to access their whole data. Therefore, it is necessary to backup Lotus Notes data on a timely basis to the hard drive. This will ensure to avoid data corruption or inaccessibility to the database.
Numerous users who take backup of Notes data using an archive folder. It is more helpful to manage the size of the mailbox if users try to save their data into different folders as an archive. Besides this, there are plenty of other ways to save data from IBM Lotus Notes database to desktop application. Thus, in the upcoming section, we are going to explain the best approach on how to save emails from Lotus Notes to hard drive. Before proceeding this, let us discuss some of the reasons to backup IBM Notes emails.
Why Do You Need to Take Backup of Lotus Notes Emails?
Go through the following reasons due to which users have to backup Lotus Notes emails. Check out the listed below points:
- At times, users are unable to access their database due to several issues regarding the application. Then, it is very important to save all messages in the local machine as a backup.
- The size of the Lotus Notes database is limited. Once the size limit gets exceeded, then the data becomes inaccessible. If users save emails from Lotus Notes to Hard Drive, then it becomes easier to access data without the risk of data loss.
- If an organization is using Lotus Notes email client and wants to migrate data to another email program, then they need to carry out the data conversion. While converting data, if somehow users may lose their data, then they can get back the mailboxes with the help of backup.
- If the backup of Lotus Notes data is taken, it is possible to retain the entire data from archived data at the time of data theft.
Free Methods to Save Emails from Lotus Notes to Hard Drive
#Method 1: Use Archiving to Export Emails from Lotus Notes to Hard Drive
Well, there is no direct method to download all your Lotus Notes mailbox data to the hard drive but you can use the archiving method to save the data to the hard drive. And here in this blog, we are going to discuss the steps. So, follow the below steps carefully.
1) Launch Lotus Notes email application. Click on Action, Archive and then, Create Criteria.
2) Now, you will get a window of Archive Settings. After that, type the name of an archive folder to create backup in Lotus Notes
3) Hit on Enable the criteria checkbox and afterward, choose the Selection Criteria
4) Then, choose the files that you need to archive and press the OK button
5) You will be able to see the location of an Archived database. By default, the name of a particular folder is also available. It will be changed if it is needed.
6) Open the Schedule tab, choose time & days, for automatic archiving of files or documents and then click OK button
7) Now, select Actions, Archive and then, Archive Now to Save Emails from Lotus Notes to Hard Drive
8) In the last step, a dialog box will be appeared on the window. Click on the Yes button
#Method 2: Use Outlook To Save Save Emails from Lotus Notes to Hard Drive
There is an indirect method to convert Lotus Notes NSF Emails data to PDF and then you can save all that PDF files to the hard drive. And here in this section, we are going to discuss the step-by-step process.
1) Select the emails which you have to store and drag it to any specific location. The EML will be stored there.
2) Then, you can open the dropped .eml files with MS Outlook
3) Go to File menu, choose Save As option and then, save that file in HTML format
4) Now, open the HTML file in Microsoft Word and Save it as PDF document
5) Finally, you can see that email is converted to PDF and saved it on the hard drive
How to Save Emails from Lotus Notes to Hard Drive – Expert Solution
We have covered all possible manual solutions, which is dealing with the query on how to save emails from Lotus Notes hard drive in the upcoming section. However, there are some constraints to these procedures. All these methods are only applicable to a limited number of email messages. If users want to create the archive folder in IBM Notes, then the size of the archive folder is limited. Furthermore, this process is very lengthy and time-consuming. One must have good technical skills or knowledge to back up every file without any data loss.
In order to avoid these shortcomings of manual methods, it is recommended to avail an instant solution to backup Lotus Notes emails using NSF to PDF Tool. The software is designed after thorough research knowing the challenging needs of the users. Using this tool users can export Lotus Notes data in different file formats such as EML, MSG, and MBOX. Which is used in multiple email clients such as Thunderbird, Outlook, Apple Mail, and many others.
The solution to Transfer Lotus Notes Emails to Outlook
This method contains two parts. In the initial step, uses may have to convert Lotus Notes data to a CSV file. In the further step, you will learn how to move the CSV file to PST format. Let us have a look:
1) Run IBM Notes email application
2) A window will display. Now, choose the NSF file that you wish to save on your local system as a backup. Click on Open button
3) In the Menu section, go to File menu and click on Export
4) An Export Wizard window will appear. Next, you can browse the desired location where you need to save a new file. Click on the drop-down menu under Save as Type
5) Select CSV (Comma Separated Value) option and then hit on Export button
6) From CSV Export window, choose the documents you need to export. Then, press OK button
7) Next, you can open Outlook application. Go to File tab, select Open and then, Import option to backup Lotus Notes emails data.
8) The Import Wizard Window will appear. Select an option Import from another program or file and then, press Next
9) Choose Comma Separated Value (Windows) option. Then, select Next button to proceed further
10) Another window will open. Browse the specific location of the NSF file where you have migrated in last steps. After selecting a file, choose an option to get duplicates in the mailbox. Press the Next button to continue
11) Click on Finish button. Now, the NSF database files will be converted to MS Outlook.
Export Solution to Transfer Lotus Notes Emails to Outlook
If you are looking for the method to transfer Lotus Notes data to Outlook then you can try the NSF to PST Converter tool. The tool provided you the best and easy way to convert Lotus Notes data to Outlook PST file format. In addition, the tool offers a wide range of advanced features to preserver the data.
Let’s Wrap Up
“How to save emails from Lotus Notes to hard drive” is the commonly seen query across various tech forums. Understanding this demand, we have covered all manual tricks to save Lotus Domino data to hard drive. However, due to the limitations imposed by the manual methods, it is suggested to avail the automated solution as mentioned above. Additionally, this application allows migrating NSF files to Exchange Server, Office 365 and Outlook easily.
Some Frequently Asked User Queries
- Is it possible to save encrypted emails from Lotus Notes to Exchange Server?
Yes. Using the efficient Lotus Notes to Exchange Migration tool, one can effortlessly migrate password-protected or encrypted NSF files to the destination Exchange account.
- Does the software ensure to keep the migrated data consistent in the Exchange Server?
Yes. Users need not have to worry about data integrity issue. All the data are well maintained without losing their metadata properties. During and after Lotus Notes to Exchange migration, there is no worry of data loss issue.
- What is the maximum time required to backup Lotus Notes emails in Exchange Server?
Using this versatile software, it consumes the least migration time to export Lotus Domino mailboxes to Exchange Server. However, it depends on various factors such as internet connectivity, sufficient power supply, etc.