What To Do When Scanpst Does Not Work? Quick-Step to Repair PST
Microsoft Outlook is an eminent email client used to deal crucial information between people. It uses a database file called Personal Storage Table (PST) to hold all its data items like emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, journals, appointments, etc. Hence, PST plays an important role while working with Outlook. But, there come times when the PST file gets damaged or corrupted due to various reasons. In such cases, users attempt various techniques to repair your corrupted data items in a PST file.
The Scanpst.exe is the foremost utility offered by Microsoft to do so. But in some cases, the Scanpst.exe tool fails to repair your highly corrupted PST files. In some critical cases, it completely stops responding. So here in this blog, we will discuss what to do when ScanPST does not work.
Now, What’s Next?
Best Solution When ScanPST Fails to Work
If the PST file is highly corrupted or damaged then, Scanpst does not ensure that the PST file will be repaired completely. Now, the question arises that what to do when Scanpst does not work?
Well, such cases demand to take help from a reliable utility like Outlook PST Repair Tool. The software is completely secure and can repair your damaged Outlook data items in a PST file with both minor and major-level corruption.
It has the capability to recover data from an inaccessible PST even without resulting in any kind of data loss. If your PST file is password protected or emails are SMIME or OpenPGP encrypted then, the software will repair it without any hassle in a few simple clicks. See how this software works when your Scanpst fails to operate.
Steps to Perform When Scanpst.exe Does Not Work
1. Launch this utility and hit the Add File button.
2. You will get two different options to add file:
- Select File: If you know where the PST file is located in your system, choose this option and add PST.
- Search File: If you do not know the exact location of PST file then, you can use this option to search PST within a particular drive or all the system drives
3. If the added PST is encrypted then, check Remove Encryption option and select Quick (for minor-level corrupted PST) or Advance (for major-level corrupted PST) scan options accordingly. Click Add.
4. PST scanning process will begin right after this and once it gets completed entire recovered data of PST will be listed by the software.
5. You can check your emails in multiple views and recover permanently deleted emails from Outlook easily as the tool will highlight them in red color.
6. Now, check all the data items you want to recover and click on Export Selected option.
7. In order to export entire recovered items, directly hit the Export button.
8. Select PST from Export Options and click on Advance Settings and apply settings for the resultant PST. Click Save.
9. Hit the Browse button and select a destination location for the output PST file and check other required options from the software pane. Click Export.
10. Data export process will begin and once the PST export process gets completed, you can access the resultant PST from Microsoft Outlook.
Now Import this resultant healthy Outlook PST file created in your desired location to your Microsoft Outlook account. This result PST file created will be in Unicode format, so you can import or open this file in Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 versions effortlessly.
Now, you have seen what to do when ScanPST does not work. But it is also important to know the reason why ScanPST.exe fails to recognize your Outlook PST file. Now explore the causes and other facts why Inbox Repair does not work properly in your system.
Scanpst.exe is Not Working! But Why?
Inbox Repair Tool or Scanpst.exe works only to repair minor-level corrupted PST files and repairs only the header part of PST. Hence, if your PST file gets corrupted due to any of the below-mentioned reasons then, the tool will not work to repair it. There are lots of common Outlook errors that end up making the PST file inaccessible.
- File System Recovery Error: Sometimes the system files get corrupted and when users try to recover them using unreliable data recovery software or by some data recovery services, it results in highly corrupted PST files.
- Outlook Re-installation: At times, due to re-installation or incomplete installation of the operating system, Outlook PST files face high-level corruption.
- Outlook or Pc Crash: Abrupt system shutdown due to the power cut, network connection error, or improper functioning might lead PST to corruption.
- Virus Attacks: Lethal viruses and Trojans may sometimes attack the Outlook data files and then damage their data. These attacks take PST files into an inaccessible state.
- High-Level Corruption: Inbox repair utility is capable to fix minor level corruption. When the Outlook data file is highly corrupted, in that case, this utility becomes failed to scan the PST file.
- Oversized Outlook File: PST has a predefined data storage space for each Outlook version. When this defined storage space becomes full or close to the maximum limit then, the PST becomes corrupted.
Also read: Why Inbox Repair Tool stops responding when you try to fix corruption issues of Outlook data file.
Scanpst.exe is always the first option for users when it comes to fixing corruption issues in their data files. However, Scanpst.exe fails to work and users search for what to do when Scanpst does not work over the Internet. Considering this query, we have come up with this article. Here, we have disclosed an efficient and secure solution in a detailed way.