Migrate Offline Exchange 2010 Database to Exchange 2016 Mailboxes
Summary: Here, in this blog, we will be discussing the new features, pre-requisites and advanced techniques to migrate offline Exchange 2010 Database to Exchange 2016 mailboxes in a hassle-freeway.
Microsoft has released Exchange 2016 with many cloud-based enhancements. Some of the hallmark features of the latest version are its Architecture, reliability, simplicity, new emailing features, and cloud approach. We have seen many fora where users are wishing to perform migration of offline Exchange 2010 .edb file to Exchange 2016 mailboxes. Take a look at this query:
Note: There isn’t any manual solution that move offline EDB file of Exchange 2010 to the Microsoft Live Exchange Server 2016 mailboxes. For that, users can go for the advanced solution i.e. Exchange Mailbox Repair Tool easily recovers & repair corrupt Exchange mailbox and .edb file with no data loss. Then, users can easily export the recovered and healthy offline/dismounted Exchange mailboxes to the Exchange Server mailboxes in a simplified manner.
What’s New in Exchange 2016?
Architecture: Exchange 2010 provides separate parts to store data like the mailbox, unified messaging, client access and hub transport. On the other hand, there is a single component called Mailbox for performing every role in the server. This component performs the combined role of other entities.
Hybrid Configuration Wizard: Also known as HCW, the Hybrid Configuration Wizard is a cloud-based platform in Exchange 2016 which helps users to connect with other Microsoft tools like Office 365.
Exchange Admin Center: Exchange Management Console (EMC) has taken a back seat in Exchange 2010 due to the new advanced features of Exchange 2010. This element acts as a single.
New Protocol: MAPI Over HTTP
RPC over HTTP was used in Exchange 2010 but due to low reliability and stability, it is dropped off. A new protocol has been used in Exchange 2016 known as MAPI over HTTP protocol. Now, users can easily pause connection, resume hibernation and change networks in Exchange 2016.
Certificate Management: In exchange 2016, you can install certificates across multiple servers at the same time using Exchange Admin Center. Unlike Exchange 2010, which requires certification installation on every server through Exchange Management Console.
Automated Wizard to Migrate Exchange 2010 Database to Exchange 2016 Mailboxes
Exchange Mailbox Repair Tool is the advanced software that is designed and developed with an advanced algorithm that easily move offline EDB file of Exchange 2010 to the Exchange Server 2016 mailboxes. This utility support offline/dismount .edb file and users can extract mailboxes and migrate directly to the Live Exchange Server, Office 365, and multiple file formats.
The Exchange granular restore tool provides scan mode option i.e. Quick and Advance scan that removes corruption from Exchange database file. If the EDB file is minimally corrupted, select the quick scan and for major corruption choose the advance scan. This option also recovers hard deleted mailboxes and data items from loaded offline Exchange database file.
This utility support various Exchange database mailboxes such as: users, archive, shared, disconnected, legacy and data items: mails, journals, tasks, notes, calendars, contacts. Users can also use the EDB Converter software to export these mailboxes to the PST, MBOX, PDF, MSG, HTML, EML file formats.
After conversion, the Exchange database recovery tool auto-generates the export report in CSV format which contains the success and fail count of migrated Exchange data.
Also Read: How to Migrate Exchange 2010 mailbox to Exchange 2013?
Key Features Of Automated Software
- Extract mailbox from offline public & private EDB file
- Preview Exchange mailboxes data items before conversion
- Keep metadata intact and maintain original folder hierarchy
- Migrate selectively EDB mailbox items via categories filter option
- Remove email encryption (SMIME/OpenPGP) from Exchange mailbox in bulk
- Date filter option move data items in a specified period of time
- Export dismounted EDB mailboxes to PDF and various file formats
- Suitable with all Microsoft Outlook, Windows OS, and Exchange Server versions
Pre-requisites to Migrate offline Exchange 2010 Database to Exchange 2016 Mailboxes
Exchange 2007 & Above
- Make sure MS Outlook (2016/2013/2010/2007/2003/2002/2000/97) should be installed.
- Check if you have login as administrator on your machine (where tool is running)?
- Admin account must be impersonated. Watch Videos How to Apply impersonation in Exchange 2016/2013
These are the software pre-requisites that users should check before migration. Now, let’s move forward to the system requirements which is necessary to support server 2016.
Windows Server 2012 / 2012 R2 is required for Exchange 2016 server
- 8 GB is the minimum requirement for Mailbox server role and 4 GB additional requirement for Edge transport
- The range of memory allocation is 10 MB to 32788MB. Choose maximum limit of 32788MB if you are using 32 GB of RAM
- Minimum 30 GB of disk space should be available on the drive on which you want to install Exchange. A 200 MB of disk space is required for system drives and 500 MB of minimum free space for Message Queue Database
- 1024 X 768 pixels of screen resolution is required
- Disk partitions should be of NTFS type
- Download and Install .NET framework & UCS API from the Microsoft website before installing Exchange 2016 on your system
Working Steps to Migrate Offline Exchange 2010 Database to Exchange 2016 Mailboxes
Step 1: Download, Install & Launch the automated wizard in your local system
Step 2: Click on the add file button >> Add offline Exchange 2010 EDB file >> Click on the add button
Step 3: Preview offline Exchange 2010 mailboxes and data items >> Click on the Export button
Step 4: Select the mailboxes >> Click on Live Exchange export type option >> Select the advance settings button
Step 5: Enter Exchange credentials >> Select the Exchange 2016 Server version >> Click on the save button
Step 6: On the export option, click on the enter destination mailbox button >> Click on the Next button
Step 7: The software will prompt for Exchange mailbox name. Provide the valid Exchange database mailbox name. Now the mailbox will be validated. >> Click on the export button
The Export process will start. The software shows the status of the exported file >> After successful migration save the export report
Bringing It All Together
Now users have detailed information to migrate offline Exchange 2010 database to Exchange 2016 mailboxes in a simplified manner via the advanced solution provided here. Also, you can use this utility to recover & repair the corrupted Exchange database file and mailboxes with no data loss. You can use this software for Exchange mailbox backup and restore for the upcoming future.