Troubleshoot Cannot Open Outlook When Offline Error: Top 3 Methods
In today’s technology-oriented era, the Outlook email client is used by numerous organizations for communication and email management purposes. Outlook is a personal information manager that manages emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, etc. in an efficient way. It stores all the data in OST and PST file formats.
However, OST is an Offline Storage Table that serves as a replica of the Exchange Server. The OST files are created when the MS Outlook is configured with the Exchange Server. These files also permit the user to work with the Outlook clients when cached Exchange mode is enabled. Sometimes, while working with OST files, the users face various issues. One of the most frequently occurring errors faced by Outlook users is ‘Cannot Open Outlook 2013 When Offline’. Therefore, in this blog, we are going to introduce different ways to fix the ‘Cannot Open Outlook when Offline’ error.
Major Problem: Cannot Open Outlook Offline
Possible Cause: The ‘Cannot Open Outlook 2013 when Offline’ error mostly occurs when the OST file is corrupt. When the user tries to access the OST file the error denies the access.
Reasons Behind the Corruption of OST File: There can be several reasons why OST gets corrupt and become inaccessible. It is important to know the actual cause behind the corruption of the OST files. This will help the user to eliminate the error and prevent it in the future. Some of the reasons are explained below:
- Power Surge
- Network Failure
- Damaged Offline Folder
- Improper Outlook Termination
- Malware and Virus Attacks
- File System Corruption
Methods to Fix Cannot Open Outlook when Offline Error
After knowing the possible reasons that can lead to the ‘Cannot Open Outlook 2013 when Offline’ error, the user can apply the methods given below to resolve the error.
Method 1: Rebuild the OST File from the Server
1. First, go to the File menu and then click the Open button. Then click the Import option and then select the Import/ Export option
2. Now, Import/ Export Wizard will open. Here, you have to select Import from another program or file and click on the Next button
3. After that, select the Outlook data file (.pst) option and then click on the Next button
4. Click on the Browse button and locate the PST file which you want to export
5. Now, select the Do not import duplicates option from the Options and then click on the Next button
6. Select the folder which you need to transfer and then click the Next button
7. Finally, click the Finish button
Method 2: Run OST Integrity Check Tool
Note: If the user is using Microsoft Outlook 2007 or the previous version, then he/ she can run the inbuilt ScanOST.exe utility.
1. First, you have to click on scanost.exe to run the utility
2. Now, the utility will ask you to select the profile
3. Select the profile as per your needs that contains the damaged OST file
4. To work offline click on Connect option
5. After that, choose the appropriate option according to your needs
6. To fix the error, click on the Repair error checkbox
7. Finally, click on Begin Scan option
Shortcomings of ScanOST Utility
There are some drawbacks associated with the ScanOST utility. This utility can only fix minor corruption in OST files. It fails to resolve major corruption in the OST files. Moreover, the risk of data loss is also linked to it, therefore it is recommended to backup the OST files before running the ScanOST.exe utility.
Method 3: Automated Method to Fix the User Issue
If the user is not able to resolve the ‘Cannot Open Outlook when Offline’ error by implementing the above-mentioned methods. Then it is recommended to use an automated and reliable solution that is PCVITA OST to PST Converter. With this utility, the user will be able to convert OST file data including emails, calendars, contacts, tasks, etc. into PST file format.
Moreover, the software is designed with a user-friendly interface which makes it easy for the users to work with the software. The software is compatible with MS Outlook 2016/ 2013/ 2010 and all the below versions. There are numerous features associated with the utility some of them are:
- Allows the user to convert completed data
- Provides a date filter option using which the user can transfer data according to a particular date
- Compatible with all the versions of Microsoft Outlook
- One can also preview items before the conversion
Outlook is a reliable and efficient email client used by various users around the world. Sometimes, users face issues while working with Outlook. In this blog, we have discussed different methods to eliminate the ‘Cannot Open Outlook When Offline’ error. The user can implement any of the above-explained methods to fix the issue. However, it is always recommended to select a trustworthy and smart utility to avoid data loss issues.